Chapter Twelve: Thou Shalt Not Date Your Roommate

Annie gets out of the bathroom and hears Finnick clanging in the kitchen. "You always make so much noise," she says, laughing. He doesn't say anything. "What are you looking for?"

"I'm trying to figure out what to make. I've eaten mainly breakfast foods for the past three days and I need to break the trend."

"I can make you pasta."

"I can do it."

"Grilled cheese?"

"I can do it, Annie," he snaps.

"Okay," she says, taken aback by his tone. Was it something I said? She goes onto the couch and opens her laptop. She has a short story she has to work on, even though she'd much rather be working on her fan fiction. She hasn't updated in a few weeks and she's worried her readers will start to get frustrated with her.

He must have just taken a shower before she came home because he's wearing his sweatpants slung low again and he's shirtless, and his hair is sticking to his forehead. She can't tear her eyes off of him, the way the muscles in his back move when he reaches for the pan, the way his arms bulge out when he turns the dial on the stove, how evenly tan and smooth his skin is. She mentally slaps herself and turns her attention back to her laptop. She got so distracted that she hasn't even turned it on yet.

She turns on her laptop but then focuses her attention back to Finnick. He sprays the pan with the spray they bought and puts the grilled cheese in the pan. She tries not to stare at his back too much. She wonders if Kendall has a back like that. Probably not. He seems quite lanky and he's certainly paler than Finnick. Finnick is so beautiful that sometimes he doesn't even seem real. "You might want to flip that," Annie tells him. He doesn't answer. "Finn? You're going to burn it." She sees smoke begin to rise from the pan and he still doesn't say anything. Whatever. If he's going to be a child I'm not going to help him.

Finnick finally flips his grilled cheese and it's charred to a crisp. Whatever. I like it burnt. She can't tell me what to do. I bet her date doesn't burn his grilled cheese. He hears his phone vibrate. It's a text from Nat that says, You better eat that brownie from last week if you still have it. He could use some pot right now. He flips the grilled cheese and puts it on a plate, then sits on the counter to eat it.

Annie laughs. Finnick's grilled cheese is completely charred. "I like it like this," he says, before she can say anything. He finishes his grilled cheese and goes into the cabinet. Luckily, his brownie is still there. "Can I have this?" he asks, swinging the ziploc bag that contains the brownie in the air so she can see it.

"It's not mine."

"I know. I just want to make sure you're okay with me eating it."

"Why would I care? It's just a brown-" She stopped mid-word as the realization sets in. "Are you okay? Do you want to talk about it?"

"I'm fine. You're okay with it?"

"Yeah."

"I'm going to bed."

"Good night."

He replies by shutting his door.

***

Annie doesn't know what's gotten him so mad, so she texts Madge. Finnick is pissed at me and I don't know why.

When did you notice?

Tonight when I got home.

Was it because you didn't tell him you were going out and he completely freaked?