Chapter 6

I hurried back to my room where Renn was waiting for me. “Where have you been? You knew full well your brother’s coronation was today.”

“I was visiting Katyra.  I haven’t been able to see her since my father’s death. I wanted to check on her. I wanted to visit Sayla and Syran to, but I never got the chance.” Renn nodded, sympathetically. Her own father had died when she was seventeen. She had an idea of what I was going through.

“Come now, we must get you ready,” Renn said, as I began to take off my nightdress. Renn shoved petticoats and a corset into my hand and I slipped them on as fast as I could.  Renn came over to help me with the corset though.

“Oh Renn! Not that tight!” I called, as she pulled the strands tighter.

“I’m sorry Ash,” Renn mumbled, but she tied them tight nonetheless.

After the undergarments came my dress. My dress was a deep purple color and fanned out a good three inches. The bodice was golden with pearls woven through it. Stands of pearls also fell over the skirt.

For my hair, Renn piled it up on top of my head in loose curls. Since the event wasn’t as depressing as my father’s funeral, my outfit could be a little less strict. I also could have more color. I was able to wear a sapphire necklace, and two small diamond earrings that had been a gift from my late grandmother. On my head was a small silver tiara, an A on the front.

At least that will never change. No matter what happens, I will always be Ash.  

“I believe you are ready to go. Oh how I wish I could see the coronation!” Renn cried.

“It’s not all that exciting,” I said. I remembered when my father had been crowded. My father had been crowned King Oren the second when I was five years old. I remembered how excited I had been, my little five year old self, to see all the people. It was one of those moments when I loved being a princess. I had tried to shake hands with everyone in the crowd, before my regal mother, Queen Alannah, had dragged me away.

There was a loud knock on the door, and Renn opened it to reveal the same guards that had escorted me to my father’s funeral. “Your highness?” the leader asked.

“I’m ready,” I said following the guards.

For a moment, we walked in silence. But I cannot stand silence, so I leaned over to the captain and asked, “What is your name sir?”

“I am Keiran Evermay, your highness.”

“And how old are you Keiran?”

“I am twenty one, your highness.”

“And what providence are you from?”

“I am from the Glyn providence, your highness.”

Glyn was the west providence. It was also the richest, excluding the Nobre providence where the royal family and other important people. The Glyn providence was also known for the most royal guards since the Glyn people had enough money to train their sons.

“One more thing, Keiran.”

“What’s that your highness?”

“Don’t call me your highness.”

“Then what shall I call you?”

“Call me Ash.” And as I said that, we arrived at the gates of the palace, where a carriage was waiting. Another guard arrived and came over to me, and, bowing, said, “Princess Ashlyna, you are to take the second carriage with your sisters. Your brothers are to be in another.”

I was shocked at first. Sayla and Syran went and did everything together since they were twins. I could not believe Ealdo had spilt them up. Then I noticed something odd. “Sir, why are there three carriages?”

“His majesty has asked to ride alone.”

I could not help it, I gasped. It was tradition for the new monarch to ride with his family. I could understand Ealdo not wanting to ride with his sisters, but separating himself from his brothers, I could scarily believe it. Then I realized something, with Ealdo by himself, Syran would be stuck in a carriage with Darian, alone.

“Please sir, is there any way I could ride with my brothers?” I could not leave Syran to Darian. I just couldn’t.

“I’m sorry, your highness, but it is his majesty’s orders that you ride with your sisters. Now if you would follow me.”

Sighing, and fuming with anger, I followed the guard to the third carriage. The footman opened the door and the guard helped me inside. I nodded to both of them as I entered the carriage.

Inside I found little Sayla curled up in a corner, alone. I was taken aback; rarely did I ever see Sayla alone. Sometimes, it seemed like she and Syran were glued at the hip.

“Say-Say, are you all right?” I asked, going to sit next to my youngest sister.

“Ealdo said that I cannot ride with Sy. And we are not to stand near each other during the coronation.”

“Is that it, Say that’s not that bad,” I said, putting my arm around her.

She sniffled. “It’s not only that, Darian pulled Sy aside. He said he needed to talk to him. Sy asked what about, and so Darian whispered in his ear and Sy went pale. When I asked him why, he wouldn’t tell me, and Sy tells me everything!”

“Oh Say-Say!” I cried, understanding her anguish. “I promise it will be all right. I’ll tell you what I told Kat, everything will be all right.”

“I guess.”

“No, I want to hear you say it. Say everything will be all right.”

“Everything will be all right.”

“There’s my brave girl. Now dry those tears. All of Auvida will be watching, and are we going to show them that Auvidan princesses cry?”

“No!”

“That’s right. We’re going to show them how strong and brave we are. We’re going to show them how we are the hope for this country.”

“Yeah!” Sayla cried, sitting up and adjusting her dress. “I’m ready to be a princess.”

“That’s good. We’re going to show the world what her highness, Princess Sayla of Auvida, in made of!”

“Yeah!”

“That’s my girl,” I said, as Sayla leaned against my shoulder.

“Ash, I miss father. Can princesses miss their father?”

“Oh Say, that’s perfectly fine. Everyone misses father, and you’re not an exception.”

“Ash,” Sayla said her voice barely above a whisper, “what will happen with Ealdo as king?”

“I’m not sure Say, but I can promise, I won’t leave you. I won’t.”