Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

I opened the door and was surprised to see three guards standing there, swords at ready, prepared to give their life for mine. I was taken aback. My father normally made it my responsibility to get to public outings on my own. If I missed them, it was my own fault and I would have to face the consequences.

"Who sent you?" I asked, wondering which of my brothers doing this was.

The guards seemed surprised at the power in my voice. I was a small girl but that made no difference. I always said I would have loved to be a diplomat had I not been born a princess. I had a way of getting what I wanted.

"His majesty King Ealdo the second, your highness. He said we are to escort you to the funeral."

"Well thank you. We best be going," I said, putting on the strongest face I could. I must not seem weak at a time like this. I must show my kingdom that I had what it took to be a princess.

I began to walk towards the exit, and the guards instantly formed a bubble around me. This was my father's preferred method of protection. The bubble made it near impossible to hit the target on the first shot. They would have to go through the guards first.

I held the thick skirts in my hands, and took careful steps down the grand staircase at the front most part of palace. It would not do be any good to fall now. Not that it was good to fall anytime, but especially not now.

I made my way down the stairs and out into the frozen Auvidan January winds. I shivered, and pulled my thick morning cloak around my shoulders. I continued on my way to the small graveyard on the outskirts of the palace. The same walk I had made nine years ago when my mother had died. Only this time, I walked the lone royal.

I approached the graveyard and found a crowd gathered honor my late father. The crowd glanced up when they saw me. Soon they were all craning around one another to get a look at me, Ashlyna, princess royal. I, unlike most of my position would have done, acknowledged the crowd, bowing in their direction.

I entered the graveyard and saw my family along with other royalty surrounding my father's coffin. My father's sister, Emeline who was Queen of the neighbouring county of Helnta, stood with her husband, King Niro. There was also many counts and dukes that I was related to in one way or another. And there were my siblings.

My siblings saw me and for the first time since I learned of the death of my father, I saw them. My youngster siblings ran to me. I opened my arms and held them open to them, as my three beloved youngest siblings held close to me. My thirteen year old sister, Katyra, looked up at me, her eyes wide, tears streaming down her face. But when she saw my strong, tear-free face, she died her own tears, and put on an expression of strength. The twins, Sayla and Syran, also dried there tears.

Suddenly a felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked up to see my brother, Darian, standing over me. "Ash, it's your turn to say goodbye." I left my siblings to Darian and made my way to my father's coffin.

I stared through the glass and saw my father, his eyes closed, dressed in his finest clothes, a brilliant rose in his fist. I wished I could see his eyes one last time. His eyes that were the same as mine. A tear slipped down my cheek as I reached out to touch the coffin. "Goodbye Father, I will miss you," I whispered. Then slowly I stepped away and let my siblings have there turn.

I turned back to the crowd that was watching me and saw tears had begun to form on the faces of those nearest to me. They seemed touched by my actions and I was glad I had made a good impression on my people.

I watched as my fifteen year old sister, Circe, made her way to the casket. Circe, had never gotten along with our father, and I saw she did not shed one tear. She mumbled no words, just turned and left.

My younger siblings all went up at once. They each hugged the casket and said their goodbyes. I marveled at their strength. I had at their age, lost one parent, but they had lost their last remaining parent. They were now alone, to be raised by a court of people who couldn't care less about them.

Seeing their tears, I couldn't help but run to them. I through my arms around them in front of the crowd of thousands. My siblings embraced me and I whispered,"it will be all right."

Little Syran whispered to me, "Promise."

"Yes Syran, I promise."

We turned to the crowd and slowly began to return to the palace, none of us wanting to watch our father laid in the ground. We walked heads high. I reached out to the crowd, shaking hands, hugging people. My siblings followed suit. As we exited, I heard someone whisper, "Now that's what a princesses should be like." I smiled slightly, glad to have made a good impression.

I returned to the palace and endured my room without a word to anyone. Renn helped me change into a simple dress, respecting my silence. I was grateful for that. So much has happened in the last few days, and so much was to happen, I didn't know if j could get through it all.

"Ash, I thought you'd like to know. Ealdo moved his coronation to tomorrow."

"Probably Darian's idea," I muttered.

"You are most likely right."

"Renn, I think I am going to go and check on Katyra, and the twins, they seemed extremely upset," I said, opening the door. To my surprise I found a messenger standing there. When he saw me, he bowed and handed me a letter.

"May I ask who it's from?" I asked, taking the letter.

"His majesty, King Ealdo the second."

"Thank you sir," I said shutting the door.

I returned to my bed and unfolded the letter. I recognized the writing as Ealdo' s. The letter was clearly written in haste, I could tell from the sloppiness of the letters.

I quickly scanned through the letter, gasped and let the letter float to the ground.

"What it is your highness?" Renn asked, fearful.

"My brother has asked to see me to discuss my marriage."