Chapter 4

I returned to my room, and collapsed on my bed. I had been given so much information and so little time to process it. I probably should have thanked Ealdo for even allowing me to know who had asked for my hand, most princesses didn’t even get to know that much, but why couldn’t he allow me to choose who I marry?

That was how royalty worked. Sons were raised to be rulers and kings. They received fine education and were the pride and joy of the family. No one would rest until a son was born, for a son meant the line was saved and all was well.

Daughters were treated as meat to be sent to the royal meat market. They were sold off to other countries as brides, to help with alliances. All princesses, duchess, grand duchess, and noblewomen were raised with that knowledge. Their purpose was to make a good match and to be a good wife and mother.  I knew that, that was the knowledge I’d been raised with. But part of me held back. Part of me knew better.

I was destined to be queen.

And not queen of some foreign country, queen of my own. I was destined to rule Auvida. I don’t know why I always thought that, but I always have, and I will to the day it is fulfilled or my wedding day.  Though I hate to admit it, there was one bright side to my father’s death. I was one step closer to the throne.

Renn came into my room and found me moping around on my bed. She laughed at my state. I was thrown across my bed, my arms and legs failing, my long hair everywhere. Then solemnly she said, “I take it the meeting with your brother didn’t go so well.”

I groaned in response.

“Well I have some news that may uplift you. You received two letters. One is from Princess Ellete of Caeria and the other from Grand Duchess Ilyania of Malkistan.”

I sat up instantly. Ellete and Ilyania were my best friends in the whole world. I only saw them once a year, if I was lucking. Letters were a rare and treasured thing, and I rarely received one from both of them at the same time.

I ran to Renn and snatched up the letters, eager to read. Ellete was the youngest daughter of King Tordan of Caeria. She didn’t have the easiest life, but she had the most positive attitude of anyone I had ever known. Ellete had nine older siblings, and was one of three girls. Her eldest sister had married and become a duchess in Lavia, the other, a highly respected member of King Diero’s court. Both had been married before their sixteenth birthday. Ellete was rapidly approaching her sixteenth, and like me, entering the royal meat market.

Ilyania was the daughter of King Fafnir of Render’s sister, Clarion. When she was fifteen, Ilyania had married Grand Duke Mylo of Soalia and became a Grand Duchess. Her husband was second in line for the throne, after his father and older brother. Ilyania was now nineteen and the mother of a two year old daughter, Ashlianne, named for Ilyania’s mother Lianne, and none other than me, Princess Ashylna.

I tore the letters opened and began to devour the words from my beloved friends. Ellete’s letter had been written before my father’s death and so spoke no word of his passing and for that I was grateful. Her letter instead told of the birth of her niece, Princess Saradean of Render. Ellete called her niece “a healthy, beautiful baby girl, with bright rosy cheeks and her mother’s eyes. Since she already has an older brother, her birth was a joyous one. My sister, Ryofona, was delighted. We have already taken to calling her Sara for short” Her letter made me smile and I was grateful for Sara’s health.

Ilyania’s letter on the other hand was written after my father’s death. She wrote and told of her sorrow and expressed much concern. She also said she would try to visit as soon as she could. In the end, she told of sweet Ashlianne’s life. She said she is a beloved little girl. She also wrote saying she is expecting another child in about five months.

I dismissed Renn, and made my way to my writing desk, and sat alone. I wanted to write to my dearest friends, but what could I say? My life had been changed by my father’s death and everything was new.  I set Ellete’s letter aside, to be written later, but instead tackled Ilyania’s letter.

In the letter I replied answering questions about my father’s death and how Ealdo was doing as king. I told of my news, and began to write the closing.

Then I stopped.

Instead, I began to write of my entrance to the marriage market once more. I remember how Ilyania, four years ago, had been so horrified at the idea of marriage, and how much her father had to force her before she married Crown Duke Kion. I remembered how much Ilyania hated the idea of being used just for heirs. Now, four years later, she was happily married, living in a foreign country with a lovely daughter and another child on the way.

I wrote to her, begging to know how she had done it. I needed to know what to do. I had no desire to get married; especially to someone I could not love. I needed to know how to deal with the unavoidable event that befell all princesses. I needed to know.

I closed my letter and sent it immediately. Soalia was a close country. With my luck, I would receive an answer before Ealdo had decided of my fate.  The unclear outcome of my fate rolled around in my head as I began my letter to Ellete.

Hours later I was shaken awake by Renn. Apparently I had fallen asleep over my desk, my letter half written. Despite my protest, Renn sent me to my bed instantly. As I pulled my cover up around my neck, and got ready to sleep, Renn gave me a chilling reminder.

“Don’t forget, your highness, your brother’s coronation is tomorrow.”

And on that happy note, I fell into a restless sleep.