Chapter 3

"You can't go! Your brother should know better then to not give you a day of mourning. He's not even king yet!" Renn cried, furious.

"I have to go. It is my duty Renn." I slipped on a pair of shoes and turned to leave. I knew I would have to face my brothers and I rather do it sooner than later. As I opened the door, Renn stopped me.

"Your highness, I just want you to know that wherever you go for marriage, I will go with you."

I turned back to Renn, smiled and said, "Thank you," and then I left.

I walked through the long corridors of the palace to my brother's room. His room was on the opposite wing as the girls had rooms in the east wing, the boys in the west. The only exception was the twins, who still shared the nursery in the north wing.

I approached my brother's room, my heart in my stomach. For two years I had avoided marriage, but now, at sixteen it seemed enviable. Sooner or later, I would lose this fight. Taking a deep breath, I knocked on the door.

A timid young maid answered. She couldn't have been more than twelve with honey blonde hair and gentle green eyes. Her face froze in fear when she saw me.

"Princess Ashlyna," she said pulling off a hasty curstry. "What can I do for you?"

"Is my brother here? He called for me."

"No your highness, his majesty has moved into the kings chamber."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, your highness," the girl said, closing the door and returning to her work.

The kings chamber? I thought to myself. I couldn't believe Ealdo had already moved into the kings chamber. That had been where our father had suddenly died only days ago. To me, that was still his chamber. It was going to be odd seeing Ealdo in it.

I quickly made my way to the kings chamber so Ealdo would not think I had refused his summons. That would not be a good way to start out. No, I had to be on Ealdo's good side it I was to have any say in my marriage. That was something I wanted greatly.

I knocked loudly on the door to the kings chamber, half expecting my father's head guard, Karcell, to answer. Karcell had guarded my father at all times from the moment he began king till his death. However, as one could suspect, Karcell did not open the door. Darian did.

"Ash, I'm glad you could make it," Darian said, ushering me in. I saw a glint in Darian's eyes that could only mean he was planning something. I felt a shiver run up my spine at the thought of it.

"Your majesty," I said, dipping into a curtsey when I saw Ealdo. I did my best to hide my shook when I saw him sitting upon my father's throne. That was a sight that would take some getting used to.

"Rise my sister," Ealdo said to me after the thirteen customary seconds that were required before a king. I did as he asked, trying to stay on his good side. "I see you received my message."

"Yes I did sire."

"Then there is no sense in beating around the bush. Since our father's death, I have received four offers for your hand, each with their own benefits. The first, is from Prince Rasdar from the county of Neonia. Prince Rasdar is the eldest son of King Sen, and heir to the throne of Neonia. He is only nineteen, not that much older than you are."

I closed my eyes and tried to remember Prince Rasdar. I had met him when I was nine and he was twelve. He was immature, impolite and horrid. I remember returning home very greatful that my brothers weren't like that. I also remembered that Prince Rasdar was the son of King Sen and his second wife who was a mire two years older than King Sen's eldest daughter. That fact had horrified me. I prayed that I wouldn't have a fate like that.

"Then there is an offer from King Diero of Cosia. Do you remember meeting him?"

I shuttered. I did indeed remember meeting him. I had been twelve years old when my father took me to meet him for the same reason my brother wants me to meet him now. I however, did not know it at the time. The man was thirty years older than I was, making him fourty two at the time. He was seated next to me at dinner and kept playing with my hair. I hated it, but what was there I could do. The vile man had even tried to put his hand on my waist before getting a vicious glare from my father.

Then something dawned on me. King Diero had never been married, meaning he had no legitimate children. That meant he had no heir. That meant that he needed someone to provide him with a heir do his house wouldn't end. Since he was old and no one knew how long it would be till he died, that would mean if I were to marry him... I nearly passed out at the thought.

"The third offer is from King Fafnir of Render. He is looking for a second wife after the death of his queen."

I had heard of the queens passing. The queen was my mother's cousin making her children my second cousins. The queen had seven children, five daughters and two sons. The thought that scared me was the fact that the eldest daughter was eighteen, two years older than myself.

"And the last offer?" I asked, worried.

"The last offer is from Prince Elik, heir to the throne of Lavia. He's just turned seventeen, so only four months older you."

My face lit up. Prince Elik, I had never met him, but I had only heard his things about the King of Lavia's only son. He was rumored to be intelligent, kind, and handsome. Plus, Lavia was my mother's home country. She would be thrilled if she knew I was queen there, for there I'd be safe. Suddenly my future didn't look so bleak.

"Has a decision been made my lord?"

"Not yet. I must speak with my advisors on it. Do you have anything to say?"

"Yes, I would prefer to be married to someone closer to my age your majesty."

"I see. You understand that your opinion may not matter depending on what your county needs?"

"Yes your majesty."

"Are you prepared to marry for the good of your county?"

I hesitated. Was I? Then I thought of my beautiful Auvida that I loved. "Yes, yes I am."

"Good. You are dismissed."

I turned to leave you and to go and tell Renn what I had learned.