A Reliable Trace

Richter spent hours staring at the pictures and jotting down possibilities as he went along. Jake tried to help out by giving him a list of every known surgeon in the country: male and female. No one heard from Richter all day and Jake was concerned for his partner because he knows he's pushing his body too much. A surgeon, possibly a female, a signature slash from right to left and now organs being removed along with a cheeky message left behind to taunt the force... it's a lot yet they were hardly enough to help. The police were scrambling to find a single trail while dealing with other crimes; Richter refuses to give up because it was personal. Just then Jake barged in.

Jake: Rich... You alright man? You look so pale.

Richter: I'm fine.

Jake: Rich... you need to relax man. You're running yourself ragged. Go get some rest... I'll cover for you.

Richter: Jake I'm fine... Just leave me alone man.

Jake: I knew you'd say that, which is why this order isn't coming from me... it's coming from the Commissioner.

Richter: ...............

Jake: I know this is personal but please, get some rest. We all know what this case means to you. The Commissioner says that this is all for you.

Richter: Alright... I'll see you in few days Jake.

Jake couldn't help but feel really for his partner. He watched as Richter left behind most of his documents but carried the pictures and his little notepad and walked through the door in dead silence. Those who saw him walking out watched on as if they can relate to his pain. Nevertheless, Richter was determined to catch "Jacqueline the Ripper" as he dubbed her whether he's on vacation leave or not. The hunt has only begun.
Richter drove home with nothing on his mind but who this person murderer is. He laid out on the couch, staring into space then momentarily on the pictures then back to space. "Hey Richter! Let's go swimming man!", "Richter you know you're always scared of new foods... C'mon! try it!", "You know Rich... although you're my cousin, I think of you as my brother... Thanks so much for being there with me." Memories of his fallen cousin flash through his mind while he tried to relax but no good; something has to be done about this so he got to work. He focused on his notes and noticed the general pattern found from the other autopsies he read while in the office but nothing else. It was a migraine moment for Richter. He needed more evidence that could help him but nothing. "Ugh! The fuck is this??? Why can't I find a damn lead!?", he uttered in frustration and tried to get some well needed sleep. It was 2:30 A.M when his cell phone started ringing over and over. He groaned in irritation and finally answered.

Richter: Mmello...?

Jake: Rich! Man you're gonna love this!

Richter: I better do because it's almost 3 in the morning...

Jake: We found something else at the crime scene.

Richter: You serious!?

Jake: Damn serious. A pin that has a special sign attached to it!

Richter: Pin... with a sign. I see. Thanks so much Jake!

Jake: Not a problem partner. I'll hold on to it until you come back. Commissioner said that I can't give you anything relating to the cases.

Richter: I understand. Thanks again. Maybe now I can sleep better.

Jake: No problem. Laters.

A pin with a sign attached to it. This must be the lead Richter has been praying for so long. He smiled to him a little knowing now that he's one step closer to catching Jacqueline the Ripper, one step closer to capturing a maniacal killer who has been murdering people-men-in the most inhumane way possible. This killer will be caught and the prosecutor who'll be seeing the case will find her guilty and the killer WILL suffer! That was his plan, his plan of revenge but the question that bothered him was, "What does the sign look like?" maybe it signified a society, an order or something... who cares now? He went to sleep that early morning.
That morning Richter woke up and jotted down the latest bit of evidence he received from Jake earlier. "Note taken, pictures taken and now this. One step closer!" Richter thought to himself. All he has to do now is try to relax to ease his mind but what to do? He turned to trying to play hopscotch with some kids he knew down at the park.