Chapter 41 - Happy Ending

Rosette's POV:

It had been two days. Two excruciatingly long days since Reza Erik was born. Antoinette hadn't let me out of bed and kept saying that I needed rest. I didn't need rest. I needed to get out and about. I needed to see where Erik was buried.

It had struck me strange that she hadn't mentioned when the funeral was held or where he was buried. Of course, I hadn't asked either. I had forced myself to be content with caring for Reza Erik. I had come to call him that in my head. Maybe it was just to remember that he bore his father's name. Maybe because I was desperate to hear his father's name spoken either by thought or word.

He laid in my arms, cooing and sucking his thumb like any baby. His golden eyes were always searching my face. It was like he knew something wasn't right with his mother. He had so much of his father in him it almost hurt to look at him. But, it would bare the pain to look at and hold my son. My firstborn and my lastborn. I would never marry again and never have another child.

The very thought of bearing someone else's child sounded like betrayal of everything Erik and I had shared. Besides, I could never love again. My heart was dead to everything but my son. I could never bare the attentions of another man. They would only sicken me.

Shaking my head to clear it of the unpleasant thoughts, I shifted Reza Erik's position in my arms. Suddenly, I heard a loud ruckus inside the house. Voices were shouting about something but I couldn't tell what it was all about or even who was arguing. My natural curiosity was still with me and I struggled to stand. Something was going on and I had to know.

I only realized how weak I was when I stood up completely. My breathing became a bit labored and I quickly set Reza Erik down on the bed. He gave a slight whimper when I set him down but I couldn't hold him and keep my own balance. Using the bed posts and the walls, I finally made my way to the door.

After opening it, I leaned against the doorframe and looked around. Nothing was in the hallway. I stumbled down the hallway and down the stairs. When I arrived at the first floor I heard the commotion coming from one of the guest bedrooms. My heart stopped when I heard once of the voices loud and clear.

"I demand to see my wife and son!" I would know the voice anywhere. The beautiful angelic voice of Erik, my husband. But, he was dead... he couldn't be alive... no, he couldn't... this was all a dream... a dream...! My heart began to race and I felt my head spinning. His voice echoed in my head and I felt myself falling as my legs gave out beneath me.

I blacked out the moment I hit the floor.

Sometime later, I had no idea when, I felt myself coming around. I wasn't lying on the floor anymore but on a bed... a bed. Antoinette must have found me. I nearly started sobbing as I remembered dreaming about Erik's voice and him demanding to see me and my son.

It had been a silly dream. Erik was dead. Oh, but it had been so real. So torturously real. As I came to more, I felt someone holding my hand. It wasn't a normal hand. It was slightly cold and skeletal. It squeezed mine and my heart skipped several beats as I remembered the only hand I had ever held that felt like that. Erik's.

Forcing my eyes open, I saw a breathtakingly adorable sight. Erik holding Reza Erik. But, I had to be imagining it all. My muddled brain was putting Erik's face where Antoinette's should be. Maybe I was losing my mind.

I moved my hand away and tried to sit up. Suddenly, Erik or whoever it was said,

"Shhh. Don't move. You took a hard fall, Rose." The moment he spoke, I realized I wasn't dreaming. That voice... so close to me... it was almost too much for my dead heard to handle. Tears fell from my eyes as I studied the masked face of my husband.

"Y-you're a-alive..." I whispered softly. Erik nodded.

"I guess I was spared. I'm so sorry, Rose." I shook my head slightly. It hurt a little to do that but I didn't care.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. How... how are you still alive?" There was still an idea in the back of my mind that this was all a wonderful dream. He looked down at Reza Erik.

"I'm not sure exactly. It must have been the way the wall fell." He stroked my cheek and kissed me gently. Our lips melted together and I relished the way they felt. I had missed how wonderful it was to kiss him. It was as perfect as the first kiss we had ever shared.

He pulled away after a little bit and smiled. I returned the smile and we didn't say anything. Words couldn't explain the feelings rushing through us both. Never could. We were silent for a moment, just staring into each other eyes. I removed the mask so I could see his whole face. The beautiful face I never thought I would see again this side of death.

A slight whimper broke the silent and we both looked down at Reza Erik who Erik was holding in his arms. I swore I saw tears in his eyes as he kissed his boy's forehead.

"I have a son..." His eyes connected with mine. "I'm a father." He was smiling through the tears coursing down his cheeks. "I never thought..." He didn't have to say any more. I understood. We just smiled at each other as tears came down both our cheeks.

Our little family was complete. Complete and happy. Erik and I had been through so much but the end had made the trials seem almost good. It was truly a happy ending.