Chapter 3 - Flashbacks

Rosetta's POV:

I laid down on my bed and thought about my momentary encounter with the Angel of Doom. Mother was right. I knew he was caged. I had seen it in him. I had seen it. I was caged by my father and who I was. He was caged by his mask.

I ran my hands over a necklace I had been given as a child. I closed my eyes and flashed back to the memory.

"Mother, where are we going?" I asked. I was only six but I knew we were going somewhere. Mother had put on a nice dress and told me to be on my best manners.

Mother looked down at me and took my hand in hers.

"Darling, we are going to do see the gypsies. Father is gone and we are going to have some fun. We will get our fortunes told!" I smiled up at my mother and giggled. I had always imagined going to see the gypsies but never been able too. Now, I could.

Mother helped me into the carriage and we drove for some time before the carriage stopped and Mother helped me out. I gasped at the sight of the wagons and horses. The men were wearing colorful outfits and even jewelry. The woman were also dressed in many colors. Mother held onto my hand and walked over to an older woman who was sitting by a fire. The woman looked up and said,

"Madams, are you here to have your fortunes told?" Mother nodded and handed her a few coins. "Whose first, my lady?" Mother gestured to me and said,

"My daughter, Rosetta." She pushed me forward a little. I smiled at the old woman and she took my hand. I watched her carefully and then the woman looked at me and said,

"Dear child, I have read much. Many years of your life you will be like a caged bird, unable to fly but always wishing it. Then one shall come who is caged himself and you both shall be free. He will not look like a prince charming and your path to freedom shall be ruff but you shall be free. Take this." She handed me a necklace with a rose pendant. The rose was inside a noose and I looked at her curiously.

She laughed and said,

"Dear child, you are the rose and he shall be the noose. But thought it might look like bondage it will be freedom." I stared at her in awe of what she was saying. Mother looked at her and I could see the confusion in her eyes.

She then told my mother's fortune but I didn't hear most of it. All I could do what think about what she had said, 'you are the rose and he shall be the noose.' I didn't understand all the bondage and freedom she kept talking about. I didn't understand but I would remember.

I smiled at the memory. I understood what the old woman had meant. I was bond to my father now. I was his daughter but he was like my master instead of my father. He was offering my fortune as an incentive for men to wish to marry me. 

I was being sold like a cow. I didn't like it at all. I wanted to choose my own path and that meant life without men. I wanted to direct my father's business without the help of a man. 

I closed my eyes and shivered as another memory flashed before my eyes.

"Mother! Mother, are you alright?" I was only ten. My mother had been in bed for the past few weeks and she was barely responding to me.

I sat down on her bed and took her trembling hand in my own. At ten I understood enough of what was happening to know that my mother wasn't going to live. She squeezed my hand and said,

"Rosetta, take care of yourself. I won't be here for you. I am so sorry. I wanted to watch you grow up and see you live out your life." I wiped Mother's forehead and said,

"Oh, Mother, don't worry about me. I can take care of myself." She smiled at me and said,

"You will grow into a beautiful woman, Rosetta. Don't ever let anyone tell you different. Keep on your father's good side. I don't want something to happen to you. He is a hard man but not completely flint." I felt tears coming to my eyes as I said,

"I will, Mother." She reached up and brushed away the tear that had slipped down my cheek away.

"Oh, please don't cry, darling. I am going to go to heaven and I will watch you from there, okay?" I nodded and she said,

"I love you, Rosetta, and remember, it takes a caged bird to recognize another." With those words and a smile she died.

My heart pained me as I remembered my mother's parting words. She had been my light. She was the one who I was really close to and she died. She couldn't help that the illness took her. There was no way for her to control that. I only wished she might have lived a little longer.

I brushed away a tear and the door opened. Father stepped through the door and walked over to my bed. I sat up and said,

"Father is something wrong?" He sighed and sat down on the edge of my bed. He said,

"Daughter, there is someone I want you to be careful around. The Shah spoke to me about him and I don't want you to speak to him or even be near him for very long." I pretended to be ignorant of this man when in reality I knew very well who he was talking about.

"Who, Father?" He took my hand and rubbed the back of it. The only time he touched me affectingly was when he was worried about my safety which wasn't that often.

"He goes by the name Angel of Doom. Very few know his real name. Now, I shall let you rest. Yesterday was a long day." He released my hand and walked out of my room. I chuckled to myself.

"Yeah, right, I am going to leave the Angel of Doom alone. I fully intend to get to know him better." I said to myself and, pulling out a book, proceeded to read. My mind was only halfway with the book though. I couldn't keep my mind off the Angel of Doom. I was going to go looking for him again sometimes soon. Yes, that was a good plan.