Chapter 32 - Plans

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

I know this is way over due but I just couldn't get it to sound right. I hope you like it. The next few chapters may do some time skipping so just a warning. I hope you contiue to enjoy. I have LOTS planned!!!!!! *evil laughter*

sarahlet2999

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Erik's POV:

The moment the question slipped from my lips, I knew I had made an error. Rosetta might love me but marrying me was something else entirely. That Persian slave girl had taken the choice of death over laying with me with one night so why would a woman want to marry me.

I moved Rosetta off my lap and started to walk away. She was in a stunned silence and I knew what her silent answer was. I would just spare her the trouble of rejecting me. I felt tears coming to my eyes and my hands started to shake.

Who would want a ugly monster as a husband? I wanted a wife, a house, a normal existence but I would never get that. Not with a face like mine. I was just about to walk out of the room when I felt a hand on my arm.

I turned slowly and saw Rosetta standing there. She was still a little stunned, I could see it in her eyes. She reached up and touched my face gently. I had forgotten my mask was off and turned my face away from her. She still hadn't said anything.

I was starting to feel nothing again. What I had felt for years. What I had lived with for years. I loved her and I wanted to marry her.

She opened her mouth to say something but I laid a finger over her lips.

"Rosetta, you don't have to say anything. I know what you were about to say. I will spare you the trouble of speaking." I turned away and glided through the door before she could say anything. I hurried to my room and walked over to my coffin. Running my hands along the wood, I realized I would die here. The pain was becoming too much. I slipped to my knees and held in the quiet sobs.

I thought I could handle it but I couldn't. Suddenly I heard the door open and some footsteps move toward me. I cowered away from her as I realized once more my mask was off. She laid a gentle hand on my shoulder and said,

"Erik, I will marry you. I love you." I turned to look at her and my mouth hung open. She said yes? She said yes! I stood up and looked at her. She leaned forward and hugged me. I pulled her against me and whispered,

"You will?" She nodded and kissed me lightly.

"I will. I will be your wife." I couldn't think straight. I had prepared myself for rejection but not for acceptance. I ran a hand through her hair and kissed her. I couldn't say anything. This was the only way to thank her for accepting me. When I finally pulled away she giggled.

"You don't have to thank me. I love you and wish to spend the rest of my life with you." I traced her jawline and said,

"Oh, but I do. You are the first person to accept this." I gestured to my face. She reached up and stroked my cheek. I closed my eyes and leaned into the touch. It was so gentle and soft. Opening my eyes, I gathered her up in my arms and walked back into the Louis-Phillippe room.

I sat down on the sofa and then laid down, holding her against me. She curled against my chest and then whispered,

"When shall we get married?" I chuckled and kiss her before responding,

"As soon as I can find another house. It may take a few week..." I trailed off when I saw her confused look. She sat up and looked around the room.

"What is wrong with this house? It looks fine to me." I shook my head. I couldn't have her living under the ground. That wasn't right for a rose like her. A rose without light would die. I pulled her down beside me and whispered,

"No, you shouldn't have to live underground. No, not ever. I greatly dislike the surface but for you to survive we shall live up there." I held her close and made myself comfortable. That was the end of the subject. Rosetta didn't seem to think that way though. She pulled away and glared,

"No, I am more than willing to live under ground for your sake. If you are happy here I shall be happy here. I don't mind living here." I stared at her. She couldn't stay here. It was dark, damp, and cold. It was the place for a creature, a thing and not a beautiful young woman.

"Rose, please, this isn't where you should live. Only a creature like myself should live down here in the damp. You are too beautiful and perfect to waste your life down here." She held me close and said,

"No, Erik, I am stronger than I look. I can survive it. In fact, wherever you are is heaven for me." I held her close and held back a sob.

"I am a demon from hell. How can my presence be heaven?" She reached up and ran her hands lightly over my face.

"You are no demon. You are one very unfortunate man. You have lived a life of hell and I intend to change it. I want you to be happy." I held her close and revelled in the feel of her close to me. She wanted me to be happy and I was. I was very happy. With her around, I was always happy.

"Rosetta, you are my happiness. Without you, I would be a shell of a man." She didn't respond but just held me close. That was enough for me. Suddenly, she said,

"Where shall we get married?" I twirled a dark golden lock of hair around my longer finger.

"I have no religious beliefs whatsoever so I don't care under what religion we are married." She grinned and me and kissed me before saying,

"Then we shall be married by a Protestant minister. I wish you did believe in God." She laid her head on my chest. I stroked her hair and thought. I had always believed there wasn't a God because of my deformity and my life. It was easier to believe there wasn't. I had no one to account for all I had done.

I look down at the girl in my arms and smiled. Maybe there was a God. It wasn't luck that had thrown this beautiful woman my way. There had to be something more than just what I could see. I leaned towards her ear and whispered,

"I shall try. I have lived my life as an atheist and it isn't easy to suddenly change. For your sake thought, I shall try." She smiled at me and snuggled closer. I kissed the top of her head and said,

"Is the day after tomorrow too soon to be married?" I wanted to marry her as soon as possible. The sooner the better. Once we were married, I couldn't lose her. For once I didn't want to run any risks. She looked up at me and said,

"That might not be soon enough!" I smirked and kissed her. She snuggled even closer and soon I heard her slow breathing. She was asleep. I slipped away from her gently to go deal with some things.

When I got in late that night, she was still sleeping. I slipped in beside her and kissed her temple before falling asleep myself. I was perfectly content for the first time in my life.