Escucha a Tu Alma

Once Thanksgiving was over, the thrill of Christmas in New York City arrived: Black Friday Sales were like no other, decorative wreaths hung from every street lamp, buildings were strewn with holiday lights. But what truly marked the holiday season was the famous tree that stood in Rockefeller Center.

Tourists from all over the world traveled for a glimpse of the tree, sparkling above the ice skaters and frequent passersby. Even city dwellers found it to be a breathtaking sight, especially during evening walks or doing last minute shopping under the night sky. The tree was special to her this year because Roland had told her he'd never gone to see it up close before. And that, according to Regina, just wouldn't do.

They bundled in their winter clothes, wearing layers upon layers to stay warm, and made their way to visit the famous holiday landmark in Times Square. Robin's brother, John, joined them for the day, not wanting to miss his nephew's reaction. He'd also agreed, at Regina's polite request, to take the family's picture in front of it so she could actually send Christmas cards this year.

Henry always refused her the pleasure of sending Christmas cards. He'd done it when he was small and his mother really gave him no other choice. But he begged her to stop as he got older. Now that they had Roland, though, he was all for the exciting little things that used to mean the world to his mom. He understood why they were so special now and that fact alone brought her the upmost joy.

They arrived just as the sun was almost set so they could watch the tree being lit for the evening. It was terribly crowded, as anticipated, but the family found the perfect spot. Robin hoisted his son onto his shoulders just in time as the lights were turned on and the chaos of Rockefeller Plaza came to a halt. Everyone gazed up as they witnessed magic right before their eyes. The little boy gasped, never having seen anything so spectacular in his young life.

Henry wrapped his arm around his mother as she pressed her back into Robin's front. She touched Roland's foot gently and rested her head lovingly into her son's; a part of her touching each person she held so dear to her heart. John took advantage of the picturesque moment and pointed Regina's fancy Nikon camera in their direction. He caught them from the front, capturing each of their reactions to their view. Then he proceeded to move behind them, their silhouettes standing close together as they stared at the beauty before them.

He'd taken a few more posed shots. One of the family after they turned to face him with the tree in the background and each person smiling from ear to ear. Another of silly faces, at Roland's request. Then finally, they created a totem pole: Roland, Henry, Regina, then Robin, their chins resting lightly atop the head in front of them. Regina took one of just Robin and Roland, then insisted John join them; she'd frame that one as a present for their parents. John took the camera again, telling Regina and Henry to pose together; she'd frame that one for Cora. Then Henry and Roland. Then Robin and Regina.

The couple stood side by side, her arms wrapped around his middle and his over her shoulders. John took the photo, but then shook his head, "You can't take pictures by the tree without a bit of snogging!"

Regina's cheeks were pink with embarrassment, but chuckled when she noticed Robin looked the same. Their arms remained where they were previously placed as they turned to face one another. She stood up on the tips of her toes as he leaned down and their lips met in a tender kiss. They parted with a laugh upon hearing the sounds of disgust from their sons, but continued to look at one another. The perfect candid shot that John was able to capture with ease.

They spent the following weekend decorating the apartment, filling it with the Christmas spirit. After choosing their tree together, Robin and Henry hurled it up to the apartment and placed it in the corner of the living room nearest the window. Regina provided warm cups of cocoa topped with cinnamon before separating the branches and stringing them with lights. They worked together to hang ornaments from both Regina's and Robin's collections.