But Ya Gotta Have Friends

She woke the following morning after a restless slumber not feeling even the slightest bit better. Her eyes were red and swollen from crying. All she wanted to do was stay in bed, unable to think of anything else, but him.

How could she?

He didn't sleep a wink that night, not even bothering to try. He sat up on the couch reading, at the table drinking coffee, on the balcony of his bedroom weeping; he did everything, but rest, unable to think of anything else, but her.

How could he?

***********************************

"Oh, Regina. You look terrible," Mallory said, entering the brunette's office for lunch that afternoon. Regina had gotten showered and dressed that morning, her hair and makeup the same as it was everyday. She just looked miserable compared to the previous weeks of pure happiness and bliss. The Honeymoon Phase was definitely over, that much was clear.

"Thanks, Mal," she muttered, not bothering to reach for her lunch as she stared down at legal documents scattered around on her desk.

"I'm sorry. I've just never seen you like this before," she replied, taking a seat in one of the chairs across from her friend. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Your job," she spat, but not with her usual quick-wit. She was exhausted and her words came out as such.

"My job is to be your friend. So either talk to me or don't, but I'll still care about you."

"I know. I'm sorry," she said, rubbing her palms over her tired eyes.

"Did you talk to him? After the party?" The blonde asked, hoping it would help the woman find a place to start.

"Briefly," she said softly, replaying the conversation in her mind for what seemed like the hundredth time. "We're fine. Well, we're going to be. It's just stressful."

"Come out with me and Jefferson tonight. Have a drink, let your hair down. Let go of the stress," she suggested. "It could be just what the doctor ordered."

"I don't know. I'm really tired," she whined, almost child-like.

"One hour. Give yourself one hour to let loose and then go back to crying yourself to sleep or whatever it is you did to look so shitty today," the woman laughed to herself, crossing her legs and sitting back in the chair.

"I just-- I didn't think I'd miss him already, but I do. So much," the brunette groaned with frustration. "I just wish it were easier."

"Love isn't easy," Mallory offered.

"Nothing ever is," Regina sighed.

***********************************

"You look completely zonked. Have you even been to sleep?" John asked, taking a cup of coffee from his brother as he sat at the kitchen table in Apartment 8.

"I couldn't," Robin replied, plopping into the chair across from him. "I couldn't even try. I was too worked up."

"How bad was it?" He asked, carefully sipping from his mug.