A Stroke of Luck

Regina remained in her seat at the back of the classroom, admiring the way the students lingered to engage Robin further into their discussions. What she really enjoyed was the way he paid close attention to their reactions, taking in each spoken word like his life depended on it. His passion for language and teaching was evident in his demeanor and she felt herself yearning to be closer to him for it.

The students filed out, slowly, but surely. Some of them, continuing a debate about the lecture well into the hallway, could be heard until the door clicked shut. She stood from her seat as the crowd surrounding him dwindled down until they were the only two left in the room. She leaned against the back wall, her arms across her chest and her right leg over her left.

"Bravo, Dr. Locksley," she chimed from her place against the wall. He looked up, recognizing her voice, but was clearly surprised to see her there.

"I didn't expect to see you for another half hour," he said with a smile, clearly happy he didn't have to wait that long. He approached her with his briefcase in his hand, trying to find his next words. "How much did you see?"

"Enough," she replied, allowing him to step closer as she remained pressed against the back of the classroom. "You are spectacular."

"You sound like one of my students," he chuckled.

"Truly," her tone was serious. She wanted him to understand how touched she was by his performance. "I'm in awe of you, Robin Locksley."

"Thank you," he stated humbly. "I appreciate that more than you know."

They stood mere inches apart, breathing each other in. Their thoughts screaming so loudly in their heads they were sure the other could hear them.

She is truly breathtaking.

How can a man be so perfect?

"There is a quaint little Irish pub just around the corner from the admin building. I thought we could go there," he said, his gaze shifting from her eyes to her lips and back up again.

"Lead the way," she smiled.

They strolled down the streets of the Upper West Side walking closely together, consciously assuring that no part of them was touching the other. At first it was a comfortable silence that they shared as they admired the city lights shining in the now darkened sky. They turned the corner just beyond the administration building when Robin finally spoke.

"Why did you sit in on the lecture?" He asked and she turned her head to look at him. By her expression he could tell that perhaps he should have worded that differently or used a different tone. "I'm glad you came. I just wondered what sparked your interest."

"The way we discussed Poe yesterday. Granted I did most of the talking, I could see how much it meant to you to listen and see another perspective. I was curious to see what you had to say about literature. And I have to admit, I was nothing short of impressed."

"You know," Robin looked down at the sidewalk, spotting dried gum and broken cigarette butts. "Your thoughts on 'The Pit and the Pendulum' actually sparked some interest in me. I'm having the students in my morning class on Influential American Writers read it for next week. I want to share your perspective with them and gauge their reactions."