I've Got A Dark Alley

Summary: Dan and Phil are strangers who meet while trashing their ex-boyfriend's car - who cheated on them with each other.

***

When he first woke up, Dan didn't think anything special would occur that day. For the last three weeks, nothing had changed in 9 to 5 routine: hit the snooze on his alarm five times before actually getting out of bed, check his phone for any important notifications, shower and get dressed and then head out to restaurant where he worked until his bones hurt. Then come back home, or hang out with his boyfriend, Elliot, until he was too tired to keep his eyes open. Go to sleep in repeat.

There were variations, of course. The occasional night he spent with Elliot, or when he had a day off and would head downtown to pick up any necessities. But other than that, it was a constant schedule.

So of course, this Wednesday should have been no different.

He had succeeded the first part, waiting tables in the sweltering heat of the restaurant for far too long and sighing in relief when his shift was finally over. Elliot had texted him earlier, promising a relaxing night of take away Chinese and Harry Potter. How could he say no to that?

So here he was, curled under the blankets on his boyfriends bed and pouting at the television, wondering why the hell everyone cared so much about Dumbledore's death. Elliot had gone to get more popcorn because Dan had begged him for it for the last five minutes.

It was nearing the end of the movie when Elliot's phone chimed in the bedside table. Dan glanced at it for a second.

He wasn't a nosy person. He felt everyone deserves their privacy, and besides, he damn well wouldn't like it if someone went through his things without him knowing. It had never once occurred to him to ever go through Elliot's phone, no matter the circumstance.

But... but a few seconds passed, and the phone had chimed three more times. He didn't want to seem possessive and jealous, he wouldn't even unlock it. Just see who wanted his attention so badly. It would just be a second.

Phil: haven't seen you all day

Phil: sorry if that sounds clingy :/

Phil: you know how hard it is going through the day without kissing you?

Phil: very hard ;-)

Dan stared at the screen for a moment, trying not to jump to conclusions. It could have been a typo; autocorrect was a bitch like that.

They'd been dating for almost two months now, and while it didn't seem like much, Dan liked to think they had something special. He really didn't want to indulge in the fact that he was being cheated on, that his boyfriend wasn't as loyal as he seemed. He never cancelled any plans they made together, never worked late enough to be deemed suspicious, so Dan had never worried about somebody getting in between them.

Phil: of course there's other things that mouth can do

Okay, now Dan was taking it personally.

Elliot: who is this??

He sent the text reluctantly, hoping that his fears weren't going to be confirmed. Elliot himself would be back at any moment, and he didn't want to be caught without having a reason.

Phil: is that some kind of joke?

Phil: like we haven't been fucking for the past month

"Shit, did I miss the ending?" Elliot said as he walked back into the room, staring at the TV remorsefully. He didn't seem to notice that Dan was clutching his phone in his hands. Dan stared up at him, biting his lip and hating himself for being close to crying.