Chapter 9

Chapter 9

It had been six days since 'Natalie gotten rejected' day and insanity already starting to creep into her.

She had done her best to avoid coming home as much as she could and only stayed to make breakfast and dinner for them before returning back to her café to hide. It hurts to put on a happy façade around Cole to show that she was fine and his rejection does not hurt her.

But the truth is it hurts like hell.

There were times when her mask cracked when Cole announced that he could not make it for dinner because of his date with Brenda. Even she herself feels that she was being pitiful, for every time Cole left for his date, she went to hide in her room to cry.

Trent has been as helpful as he could, but he just does not know how to deal with a heartbroken woman. Natalie noticed that she had not seen Trent today, which was weird because for the last six days he always dropped by to see how she was doing.

Perhaps he had gotten tired of her. In fact, she was getting tired of herself too.

When Trent finally called her on her cell phone, she feels a little happy that Trent had not given up on her.

"Get your ass to my apartment. Now."

Frowning, Natalie asked, "Why?"

"Just come over. Right now." Trent hung up the phone and she scowled at his rudeness. Well, she deserved it, as she was not polite to him for the past six days either.

Dragging her ass out of her apartment and walked to the third door to her left, she had not even managed to press the doorbell when it flung open and a hand shot out to pull her into the apartment.

"Trent!" Natalie snapped but he continued to drag her towards the living room, where Mrs. Kilper was sitting on the couch, sipping tea.

"Mom? What are you doing here?"

"Trent called me and he was right. You look terrible."

"Thanks, mom. Au natural with no makeup on my clean face," Natalie answered with sarcasm.

"Hush it, Natalie. I am here because I'm concern about you."

She sighed and took a seat beside her mother. Trent wisely left them alone. "I'm fine, mom." Mrs. Kilper raised her eyebrow and Natalie groaned. "Fine, I'm not doing so well, but I'm better."

"I'm surprised you did not execute our plan."

"What plan?"

"Your battlefield."

Natalie scoffed. "It's your plan, not mine. But that plan is useless anyway since he's got a girlfriend now."

"And you are letting his girlfriend stops you? I thought you like him very much?"

Natalie clenched her fists tightly. "I love him, yes, but I'm not going to break up his relationship. If I do that, what is the difference between me and those fake friends that stole my boyfriends from me?"

Mrs. Kilper patted her daughter's clenched fist. "You know, I'm always worried about you more than your brother."

"You do?"

"You are too much like me. Just like how your dad had described me; beautiful, fierce, blunt, stubborn, but kind."

Natalie ignored her mother's self-boasting. "What does that got to do with anything?"

"I used to have plenty of boyfriends too, but none of them could last more than two months. That is until I met your dad. He's different from the others. He did not try to make a move on me even when I jumped onto him more times than I can count."