And that was all that mattered.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The medics arrived quickly, and they escorted Xander to the first-aid tent for further treatment.

My hands fell by my sides—slightly empty.

"Hey, Chip right?" A voice sounded beside me. I turned around and raised my gaze to find Blake.

It took me a while to realize that I had not responded.

"Y-Yes?" I said dazedly.

"I'll be checking in on Xander—they'll allow me into the tent because I'm a teammate. Want me to convey a message or anything?" Blake asked, concerned.

"U-Um...it's fine, I...I just want to see him. Will it be okay?" I looked up at Xander's teammate—who practically towered over me just like Xander did.

Blake's gaze adverted mine, and he glanced around awkwardly. "Um...I'm not sure 'bout that. I'll try."

I smiled, and thanked him with a small bow.

Blake returned the smile and jogged towards the tent—leaving behind a messy situation.

No one seemed to be listening to the announcements made, and even the match between the two other schools next to us stopped—and stared.

It was a complicated moment whereby no one knew exactly what they should be doing or how they should continue. I spotted Kim among the crowd, flipping a middle finger at another Ashton High student.

Jack was up in the stands, looking bored.

I stood in the middle of the court, thinking about Xander.

And only Xander.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After the competition committee finally got everyone to settle down (including the players), they announced that the entire final round was to be cancelled due to 'disruptions'. Which meant that there were two winners—Ashton High and Rivendell.

Though there were complaints by the Coach of our opponents (saying that they could very well find a substitute and forget about the intentional injury), the committee seemed very much decided about it.

The atmosphere was filled with fierce tension, and everyone accepted the victory with clenched teeth and balled fists. The majority of our school had their attention on the Ashton participant who had appeared to be rather miffed about the results.

He seemed to be arguing and reasoning with the referee that Xander's injury wasn't a big deal and that even he could play with a broken finger.

W-Wait, wasn't that...the guy who was with Vicky just now?

"Yeah right, I'll give him one." Kim hissed beside me. Jack sighed.

I bit my lip, forcing down my disappointment—and strangely, slight anger.