Ares: The War God

Ares sat on his magnificent darkly carved throne in the silence of his walls watching the battle below. They were not doing well. They were severely outnumbered and despite how viciously they fought they were slowly losing.

He had trained them well... His Amazons. Every single one possessed a drive and determination many soldiers would die for. Skills and courage any warrior would envy. Men thought they could rule the world with their strength and power. But he found that women, these women of a certain calibre, could be a force to be reckoned with. They were agile, tactful and passionate as he about the battles they fought. They were feared by all and ruled by none. They were wild and free spirited like his four dark horses. And they were his. His secret weapon in the human world. No army, not even his own, could compare to these women, no matter human, demon or otherwise. They were as vengeful and ruthless as he. And like him, they were proud. Even in the face of death they would not waver, bow down or retreat. A quality he respected, admired and rewarded.

So he would wait for the call. He respected their judgment. He would not intervene unless it was necessary. Stubborn women. Their numbers were dropping. The invaders from the east had brought more than their share of weapons, allied men and horse power. He would not see his Amazon's ruined by them. He protected what was his.

The battle dragged on, bloody and brutal. He had sent the Keres to carry the souls of his valorous deceased Amazon's to the Elysian Fields, where they would know peace. He watched as limbs were torn from bodies, as arrows rained down from the skies and swords clashed in the night. Fires ignited in their midst, casting scenes of shadow and light on the trees, depicting this dance of war. Blood coloured the grass and the bodies of those that now lay on it.

He frowned as he watched a man strangling a seriously wounded Amazon, pinning her to the ground with his weight. Knowing her end she used her last bit of strength with planned precision. She raised her unseen dagger and plunged it into the curve of his neck. The man screamed in pain and fell to the ground beside her, terrified in the last moments of his life. The woman sucked in deep breaths but struggled from the exertion and her wounds. She smiled meekly despite her situation, turning her face towards the skies. The words she whispered floated to him.

"I go forth with honour. Ares give me leave."

Ares closed his eyes for a moment, saddened by her imminent departure. "Karisa," he said her name with soft sincerity, sending a wave of peaceful energy towards her, "You humble me with your honour. Be at peace."

She closed her eyes and gave up the fight for life, letting her mind slip into the darkness. He watched as a Keres came forth. She, like her sisters, appeared beautiful and ethereal, resembling an angel. Yet these were no angels. A Keres was the face of death. If they knew you to be unworthy their appearance would reflect the monstrosity that you yourself were. The darker the person, the more hideous the Keres appeared ripping their soul from their body and dragging them to the depths of the underworld. But to those that were worthy, to those that the Fates smiled upon, the Keres would appear as an angel. Ares watched as this one reached down and helped Karisa's soul to her feet. They smiled at each other in warm recognition. The Keres wrapped her wings around Karisa embracing her as they faded from the Earth realm.

A few more moments passed as the battle played out before him. More deaths, more blood. Then the call came. The soft plea from one of his own.

"My Lord... Help us. Please."

He rose slowly from his throne, sword in hand. It was time. His breath quickened as he continued to watch the scene below, focusing his attention on all those that opposed him. Those that had dared to enter his lands with chaos and disruption on their minds. His Amazon's had fought bravely, had slain an incredible number of them. But now it was his turn. And he was angry.

Blood red seeped into his gold eyes that burned with the fire he held within. No one defied him and got away with it. And no one, no one, attacked his Amazon's without there being consequences, by their hand or his.

He faded from the dark marble halls of his home onto the battlefield in the Earth realm. His intense energy rolled out powerfully around him. His skin glowed golden, marking him as a God so that all would know him.

The invaders that noted his arrival paused in surprise and disbelief. Some to their detriment. Men shouted warnings. "Ares! It's Ares!" The Amazon's roared with renewed hope. Orders were shouted and the men moved quickly into formations, readying themselves to attack.

Ares took in the burning smell of grass and death. The stillness of the night air. The faces of the men he was about to slaughter. He called forth a large gold rimmed shield onto his left arm but no body armour. He didn't need armour. He'd create more fear without it.

An arrow whistled through the air and hit him in his right shoulder. He turned his head slowly to look at it, then at the man who had released it. He lifted his hand and yanked the arrow out, crushing it, then letting it drop to the ground. Blood oozed out of his wound, rolling down the muscled curves of his chest.

Silence passed amongst the crowd around him. He released his wrath, fire exploded from his sword hand, rippling down his arm and shooting out towards the men. He moved with unimaginable speed, targeting multiple men at once. He was like smoke, a form that shifted stealthily with ease through the humid darkness, barely noticeable until it was too late. He was death. A Grim Reaper on the battlefield. Flames scorched their way through the trees in all directions around him. Blood curdling screams laced the air, warning men that their end was fast approaching. There would be no escape, no mercy and no sanctuary for anyone opposing him. Death would be their only grace and he would deliver it to them swiftly with his blade. He had released the beast and it must be fed.

Nothing could stop him now. Nothing. But by Olympus, let them try.