Chapter 1 - One Month and 15 Days

Authors' Note: Hello readers! This is Allison and Sam, and this is our first fanfiction. Keep an open mind because the story will progressively get better, we promise. So read, comment, vote, follow us and most of all... ENJOY!!

Left, right, left, right, keep moving , I tell myself. I look over my shoulder to see five of them hot on my heels. I whip my head back around and continue to sprint away from them, picking up my pace slightly. This is all I do, run.

I can feel the sweat dripping down the back of my neck, down my back, and seep through my shirt. I see a fallen tree ahead that is a good enough size to jump over. I get to it and leap over it, then land not so gracefully on the mossy ground. I regain my balance and turn around and see the walkers reaching out and attempt to grab me, but the tree is too big for them to climb over.

I scoff and murmur, "Idiots"

I turn back around and continue to walk away. I walk for a bit and suddenly come across a paved road. I look down the road to my right and see a small outline of a town. I'm running low on supplies so I start to go towards it. After about a mile, I enter the town and look at the stores. I finally see the name of a store I've been searching for weeks to find.

"FAMILY FOOD CENTER"

I smile as I go up to the doors and open them. The store is quiet, I don't hear any shuffling or moans. I go to the first shelf I see and start putting canned items in my bag. Canned corn, canned baked beans, canned peaches. I move down two aisles and spot some water bottles. I grab all that is left, which is 4 bottles.

I'll just have to ration well, I thought.

Everything else was picked over, so I went to see what other stores were here. I went across the street to a clothes store. Once again, I didn't hear any shuffling or moaning.

That's strange, I thought.

I shrugged it off and took it for granted that I didn't have to deal with them. I went through the racks and picked out a pair of denim skinny jeans, a maroon tank top, black combat boots, and a nude colored sports bra. I walked over to the mirror and examined myself. For a 28 year old, I'm in decent shape. I've never been the skinniest girl but I was never fat either. My thighs were a reasonable size, not too big or small.

But don't even get me started on my boobs.

I wear a size 40C, so try to run with those, it's not fun.

Trust me.

My hair is dirty blond and curly with some faded blonde highlights. It's is up in a high ponytail because I haven't washed it in one month and 15 days to be exact, which is when everything started, so it's pretty nasty. But when my hair is down, it goes to the middle of my breasts. Also, my eyes are a greenish-brown color. My teeth are perfectly straight thanks to my braces back in middle school.

On my back was my gray backpack which had food, water, a blanket, extra clothes, a flashlight, and extra batteries. In my back pocket was a pistol, and tucked in my boot was a hunting knife. I had yet to find more weapons, but for right now those two had gotten me this far.

I sighed and exited the clothing store. I made my way through the rest of the town, which sadly had no weapons store. The sun was setting, so I decided to find a place to "sleep" for the night. I went down the road for another 2 miles and saw something ahead. I walked towards it some more to see that it was a car, empty on the side of the road.

I went up to the windows, which were dirty, and wiped them off to see if anything was inside. I didn't see anything so I opened the backseat driver's side, only to be mistaken.

There was a girl that had to be at least eleven years old. I hesitantly reached over and put two fingers on her neck to check for a pulse. As soon as my fingers touched her skin, her eyes shot open.