Chapter 7: Fourth Test

Start from the beginning

That brought a true smile around. "Thank you. I don't know what I've done to deserve a friend like you."

Evony laughed. "And I could say the same. You've explained a number of mainlander things that would have confused me. Especially at meals. I had no idea people here used so many pieces of cutlery! And I wouldn't worry so much about the emperor. Just speak to him like you would anyone else."

"I couldn't do that! It wouldn't be proper. And I don't know what to talk about with most people..."

"He's a person, the same as you or I. Ah! That's it! You don't have a problem talking to me, do you?" Evony waited for Admina's nod before she continued. "Then pretend the emperor is me. And be yourself. If he's choosing a bride, I imagine he'd appreciate honesty."

Admina bit her lip for a moment. "Do you really think that will work?"

"I wouldn't suggest it otherwise. And like I told you, you have options. Don't let anyone force you into anything you don't want, and if you run into problems, I'll do my best to help you."

"I can never repay you—"

Evony cut her off with a raised hand. "We're friends. Friends don't owe each other anything. Now, if I'm to meet with the emperor today, it would be best that I change. While this is what I would wear at home, I gather it's not appropriate here."

Admina looked at her, then down at the short chiton Evony still wore and blushed, like she'd just now realized what Evony was wearing. She supposed it would appear to a mainlander like she'd appeared in her nightclothes, despite what she felt personally.

With a quick promise to meet up in a few minutes for breakfast, Evony shut the door to her room behind Admina and let out a sigh. Speaking with the emperor would be interesting, especially since their last meeting. She wasn't sure if she was glad or not about the opportunity. The emperor...well, he wasn't what she'd expected.

And standing in front of the door wasn't helping her get dressed, so Evony turned away from it and her thoughts, focusing instead on what she could do. Which was put on another of the long chitons and yellow overdresses she was already tired of.

* * *

Evony stood in the shade of a large oak and watched Admina approach with the emperor. Her friend's eyes were on the ground, much as they had been when she'd left with him, but she seemed to have a touch of colour in her cheeks, which was better than how pale she'd been previously. It looked like it hadn't gone poorly, which was good.

As they both reached the garden, Evony stepped towards them. "Thank you, Rector Admina," she heard the emperor say.

Admina gave the full formal bow and murmured, "Thank you, Your Imperial Majesty," before hurrying towards Evony.

Evony smiled at her and whispered, "How did it go?"

Her friend offered her a shaky smile in return. "Better than I had thought it would. Thank you."

Evony didn't have a chance to reply, Admina scampering off. Evony watched her go then turned to look at the emperor. His tawny hair and steady blue gaze hadn't changed from the last time she'd seen him. She closed the short distance between them and bowed with her arms crossed over her chest. "Adnuhom," she said.

He inclined his head in her direction. "Princeps Evony," he said. "Shall we?"

She shrugged. "You're in charge."

A wrinkle appeared briefly on his brow before he nodded again. He started walking back the way he'd come, heading towards the next garden. Evony kept pace beside him, looking around a bit. She hadn't been to these gardens prior to this. She liked the bright yellow flowers mixed with the red ones, thinking they looked much better than the pale pinks, blues, and whites she'd seen in gardens near the building that housed them.