black

"Check. Check. Check, check, FUCK, Check..."

Crescent Sun was going to open up for Pearl Jam in about hour, and everyone was stressing to tune their instruments, checking the microphones, etc.
We both shared the same manager too, Teddy Collins.
It was slightly damp and cold, no sun to be seen, but I like it this way. Rain and dark weather always remind me of Seattle.

We had just eaten so we were energized, especially Eddie. He was so hyper and full of life.

I was still getting ready and doing vocal exercises back stage.
Me and Eddie were both extremely down to earth and humble people. I was raised cheap, raised oddly, raised... right.
And we both had really shitty dads.
Eddie's dad left him before he could even think.
My dad never helped my mother, who treated her and my family like shit. My broken family.

Doc Martens. Everywhere.

We both shared a love for Doc Martens, too. He wore black, because he's a simple dude... I had every fucking color.
So tonight I chose a weird pink-red color.
It's all I really spend my money on.
Time passed quicker than I expected.
"Violet," Jordan said, finding me listening to Mudhoney, "we're about to go out on stage. About five minutes."
"Okay," I answered blandly.
I got up from the couch I was laying on, and followed him.
Donny and Corey were waiting for us, instruments ready.
I heard the roar of the crowd and began to feel nervous.
I felt someone walk up next to me, I turned around and Eddie was standing there.
"It's okay. You'll do amazing. You always perform amazingly." He smiled and I hugged him with everything I had.

"Thank you, Eddie."

"Hurry, Violet!"
The boys were laughing at me, my stupid brothers. And Corey. I looked into Eddie's eyes, grabbed his hand, put it against my heart, smiled, and followed the boys.

I walk onto stage, trying to tell myself to be confident. We were playing tracks from our album, a couple singles, and a Led Zeppelin cover. I walked up to the mic and waited for my cue.

I looked into the crowd and smiled.

"One, two, one, two, three four!"

I heard the bashing of Donny's drums, the riff of Jordan's guitar, and Corey's heavy bass.

And then, I sang.
"Older boy, young girl,
Bold heart, empty soul.
Craving for a love she'd never understand."

I threw my head around to the music. I watched the crowd starting to do the same. They were such an energetic crowd, which I lovvveeddd.

"She never even knew your stand,
Did you even love her at all?
Did you ever know that she tortured herself for you?
All you said was fuck the goddamn law. Hey!"

I threw myself around the stage, feeling good, feeling alive, my heart pumping like crazy.
Corey was absorbed in the adoration of the crowd, screaming and jumping around. Jordan was laughing with joy, but the shy boy was a modest performer.
And then when the chorus began, I completely lost myself in the music and the crowd.