Chapter 43 Our sons

Leaning into Bree who's also crying. "Bree I can't even start on how proud I am in you! Little did we know that we'd have something so amazing, like twins! You'll be the best mother, Bree!"
She kisses my mouth, "You were right Rye: we would have something in return for our troubles. I'm sorry for ever doubting you Rye! And you'll make the best dad ever!" she replies crying.
"Are the babies healthy?" she sniffles.
"They said that they need a shot" I reply, "But they're better then ever"
Bree's eyes focus not on me, but behind me. The nurse carrying our two sons. She hands one to me and Bree the other. I still can't believe it--twins!!
They covered the shot up with a tiny bandaid on their tiny hands. Bree breaks down looking at him, "Hunter" she whispers.
I sit on the side of the bed with her, "You know that one name we came up with?"
"You mean are second favorite?" Bree sniffles. I nod, "He looks like a Rey."
"Hunter and Rey Mellark" it sounds perfect. We study their features in awe. Feeling their newly beating hearts, their baby-soft skin. I immediately start rocking Rey in my arms, like how dad always does.
"Rey has brown hair" I say.
"Hunter has blonde" she smiles. Bree sighs exhaustedly, "You know, every moment of pain, stress, fear was worth it. I love them with all my heart Rye."
I agree, "Me too!"
"Imagine their eyes" she sighs, "Hunter looks so much like you"
"Rey has some of your features" I say. I see Bree start to doze off. I take Hunter from her arms so she can relax a little.. I rock both of them in my hands. I never thought something so little, so beautiful could be this precious.
I'll never be any prouder of Bree than how I am right now.
I can't wait to tell my family..

An hour passes Bree and I are sent to another room to spend the night with our sons. After that Bree will have to stay home with them for a couple months--no work, and I will sill show up to work. Even though I much rather stay with them all day.

Next chapter tomorrow