Eighteen _ For What It's Worth.

Start from the beginning

“I hope you lean into the practice tomorrow the same way you just did, Nik,” I heard Rod’s amused voice before he appeared beside us, ”Are you okay, Rina?”

Never better!’ what I was gonna say before I thought better of it. Still I couldn’t hide the smile when I said, “I’m fine.”

“You did real good, kid.” He nodded with a smile and walked back to the event when Nicole sat me down on the bench near the sidelines. I looked up at her as I noticed she wasn’t sitting down. She was about to say something before our gaze welded together.

Her lips parted and closed for a few times while I just watched on and then she leaned down and reached her hand out to me. “I’m really sorry.” Probably to wipe the dust off, with the back of her fingers she gently brushed my cheek.

The stinging that came along with her touch couldn’t make me shy away from it because the heartwarming feeling that such a simple gesture as this brought had me at a loss for words for a few seconds. Eventually she stopped caressing my cheek, leaving a trail of warmth in its wake.

“It’s okay.” I gave her as reassuring a smile I could salvaged. She gave me a nod before turning and walking away. As I watched her retreating back, I got to thinking how un-girly she looked and especially how good it felt when we were so close and warm earlier; just how you should feel around someone who really cared for you; around your family. I just kept on looking until someone stood in front of me where she just did earlier.

“You seem okay.” He handed me my bag as I stood up.

“I am all right. Thanks.” I said and took it absent-mindedly, punished by the pain in my bad wrist. But I didn’t wince or anything.

“Go wash up. You don’t have to stay here till it finishes.”

I didn’t notice how grimy I felt and must’ve looked until he said that. Besides, I gotta go see Steve. “Okay. See you.”

“Yeah.”

I was about to brush past him when my eyes caught a girl over his shoulder. She looked quite familiar.

“Bella?”

I was sure I said that one below a whisper so I had no idea how he caught it. “I don’t think that’s her name.” he said, his eyes also on her.

“Oh, just a name we gave her,” I said and we watched as she walked to the group of people. “Short for Belly-flopper.”

I was stifling a laugh when he suddenly burst out killing himself laughing. And the way he was surprised me a little and also set me off as I joined in.

“Sounds harsh.” He said after finally managing to put a break to it.

“Yeah, she did earn it, though.” I said and began to notice she was …..coming our way!

“Hey.”