10. A long awaited Spark

Começar do início

From the moment he collected me and right up until this point, he has been so thoughtful and complimenting. He was suitably blown away by my appearance and seamlessly keeps conversation flowing with ease. Aradan himself is dressed very finely in brown and golden robes, though I reckon he could wear a bin bag and still look like a Calvin Klein underwear model! Beautiful, beautiful, elven man that he is, but I am ashamed to admit that I don't feel anything. Like I should be swooning, my heart should be pounding at the idea that this god like creature is obviously interested in me, but meh I don't feel the urge to faint in his presence. Maybe I am sick? Don't get me wrong, he is stunning and so funny, caring, and thoughtful, but I just don't get it. I don't feel attracted to him - weird just weird!

The gathering of these young - in terms of elves - spirited and jovial crowd of elves is actually in the woods, in the shadow of the King's halls. For a very fun and exciting period Aradan and I stride through the wood, as if seeking out a hidden place that only those in the know can find. The small glade is brightly lit and busting to the seams with riotous and merry elves, some already completely intoxicated on the free flowing wine. There is a large fire pit in the centre, blazing with dancing flames that capture me, and the music is wild and rustic, it reminds me of the ceilidhs/Kaylees* of home. My heart is pounding and my body tingling with the excitement and nerves. I want to let go and have fun but I also don't want to make a complete eejit out of myself. Be brave Clara, be brave, you have your second chance now live it!

It is hard to hear over the din but Aradan makes gestures to me asking if I want a drink and I nod enthusiastically, he smiles and disappears, leaving me alone in the mass of crazy elves. Some speak to me and others just smile and nod, but soon I find I am making my way through the throngs, introducing myself and laughing at the easy going vibe of the evening. Aradan returns with my wine and he begins introducing me properly to his friends. I am fitting in at least, and all who I meet seem genuinely interested in me. I am also quite chuffed that I get lots of appreciative glances from the opposite sex, even enough to make Aradan stick a lot closer to me. God bless Oliel, I owe her so much!

Soon the dancing is in full swing and I have had a few twirls around the fire pit come dance floor, but I eventually insist on taking a break. Aradan tries to stay with me but he is in high demand and I want him to enjoy himself, so I encourage him to carry on, I can amuse myself for a bit.

I drain the last of my wine glass and decide to go on the hunt for some more, so I start ploughing through the crowd, and more than once bash into people but no one seems to mind much. Eventually I find the wine kegs; I fill up and spin on my heel only to collide with another, mercifully I save my dress and the elf's tunic.

"Ugh, I am so sorry!" I cry. I was close to being graceful so close, dammit. "I am the biggest clutz."

"Clara?"

The voice makes me stop, and I squint upward at the face of the stranger and then gasp;

"Thranduil?" I ask in surprise as I observe him, dressed quite finely in his silvers and emerald greens, "I mean...your highness what a surprise?"

"Is it really?" he replies stiffly and causally pushes past me to fill his own glass; "I thought I told you to call me Thranduil, are we not friends?"

"I don't know, are we?" I say rather boldly, this is not going to end well I've downed goodness knows how much wine, so I will most likely say whatever comes to mind without thinking. "I mean I have seen nothing of you since I left you at the barracks, and not even an apology for your words, I don't really consider that friendly behaviour."

"Then I am sorry!" he snaps and bangs his glass down, "There I said it, now can we abandon this ridiculous standoff."

"You could at least mean it." I hiss and attempt to storm off but he follows, seriously will I never get to exit dramatically with this elf; "What Thranduil...what do you want?"