8. Falling (literally)

It is really rather chilly before the dawn, and I instinctively clasp my hands over my arms and vigorously try and rub some heat into myself. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting Tolkien, I want to advise him that yes elves are immortal, and oh yes they are very resilient, but that does not make them completely impervious to the cold. Then again I am not sure whether I am cold or just a tad nervous, as I quietly walk along the nearly empty pathways which lead to the marketplace.

I decided to wear something universal; a silvery tunic and dark grey leggings which are very sturdy in make. I sourced these more practical clothes with the help Oliel, who magically is able to find absolutely anything you need at a moment's notice. She also located me a ladies over coat style garment, which fits over said tunic because apparently going out in just your tunic is considered a little underdressed. It is in more neutral shades of green and brown and is fastened down the front with silvery buttons, which on closer inspection are little leaves. It is padded in all the right areas just in case I am expected to wrestle something, then I shouldn't be too badly bruised in the process. The best laugh was the knee high suede and leather boots, in which I had to get Oliel to tie them because I was useless at it; frankly these boots are on so tight they will never ever come off!

I eventually round the last bend and make out Thranduil standing, as promised, alone and with no entourage. He is not so wrapped up as he was yesterday, in fact he is dressed really rather casual, something I am not used too. I am used to fine robes and loose fitting but exquisite tunics, clothing that practically screams; 'I am a Prince...hear me roar.' However this is the first time I have seen him appear so normal, for want of a better description, he could be any random male elf wandering around in the early hours before dawn, except I would know that long mass of platinum locks anywhere.

Though his hair is scraped back, secured and tucked down the back of his cloak, there are still silky flyaway strands that are loose and long about his face and shoulders. His clothing is dark green, almost black in the dim light, tighter fitting than his usual apparel more streamlined - the kind of clothing used to face elements. As I get closer I spy a bow and quiver strapped to his back and the glint of something shiny at his hip...a knife perhaps? I think maybe we are busting out of these caves, and suddenly I am full of excitement!

"Good Morning Clara," he calls in welcome and saunters towards me, "So you managed to leave the warmth of your bed then?"

"I did!" I answer dryly, "but I see no breakfast, you promised?"

He chuckles and nods his head in the direction of an opening in the rock, something I did not see the day before and how I didn't is beyond me. It is an entrance out of the caves, quite large and I can see the dark sky turning paler. I automatically start trotting towards it, I am practically tingling with anticipation for I haven't seen the outside world in so long. Thranduil gets my drift and follows after me, though I reckon he has just been waiting on me to catch on - aw ever the gentile noble elf.

The two of us quickly scale the steps and rocks to the entrance and I gasp in mixture of relief and joy at the sight.

On the mouth of the natural opening I stand to see the forest stretching out before me, it's size is so incredible that there appears to be no end to it as it flows right to the limits of my vision. I hear water gushing to my left and right, and make out the naturally falling waterfalls as they pummel down from above our heads. I skip as close to the edge as I am brave enough to dare, and glance upwards to make out the twisting vines of ivy and growing things, all crawling towards the light of day, towards the sun...I have missed the sun! I hear myself laugh breathlessly as I daringly inch across the distance to catch the falling water in my hands, from a smaller less forceful waterfall, it is so clean and glistening that I instantly cup it to my mouth and sup it.