Chapter 4- Duty Calls

Disclaimer: I do not own Kuroshitsuji.

-The Queen's Letter-

My Dearest Ciel,

There has been a strange occurrence in town, it seems as if over night countless people have become deathly ill. It so greatly pains my heart to see my people suffering. I suspect something sinister is at work, some kind of war against our great country. I do not understand how such a large number of people could get sick. I feel I can trust you to get to the bottom of this issue and find the culprit to ease the ache in my heart.

Best of luck,

Her Majesty

-Ciel's POV (Him and Sebastian have just finished reading the letter)-

What perfect timing, I was furious at Sebastian and saw no better way to get back at him than to do the exact opposite of what he wanted and go into town. Because it was an order of The Queen he would have no choice but to take me. I smirked "Well Sebastian, Prepare the carriage, we're going into town to investigate."

"Yes master" he responded, expressionless. I was expecting him to look more angry after the speech he had given me, I suppose he was just hiding it. In all honesty Sebastian had scared me when he spoke to me like that, though only slightly. He had actually seemed worried, at least worried enough to try scare me into submission with his more demonic features. But Sebastian's demonic form had only scared me when I first summoned him. Now it comforted me, in a way. Reminded me that he wasn't human, couldn't be harmed by humans and most importantly that he had a duty to me, a contract to protect, serve and not harm me until my mission is complete and he devours my soul. But then sometimes he acts human, like by getting worried, and that scares me because I don't know what to make of it.

Sebastian startled me out of my thoughts, "Bocchan the carriage is ready."

"Ah yes, well let us go then" I said. The carriage ride was silent, I hated it. I hate how I can never tell what Sebastian is thinking, it's like we're playing a chess game that I cannot win. I suppose I could force him to share his thoughts, but that would be cheating. When we arrived in town the change in the air was evident. Less people walked the streets and those who were on the streets looked at the carriage suspiciously. The coachman brought the carriage to a stop and we got out, I turned to Sebastian and said "You go and investigate, find out as much information as you can and I will do my own investigation" of course my definition of investigation is walking around town by myself, I enjoy the solitude and being outside of the manor, walks in town always made me feel free no matter the circumstances.

"Young master, I would prefer you stayed with me, we really don't know what we're walking into" he responded.

"Sebastian we will do separate investigations and that's an order, I will summon you if anything goes awry."

"Yes young master" he said with his usual bow and then we went our separate ways. I walked off towards the small shops, perhaps I could find a gift for Lizzy to make up for my absence. I walked into a dress shop and the door chimed. I was browsing when I heard "Can I help you with something?" from directly behind me, and it sounded fairly rude. I jumped and turned toward to speaker. It was a young man who looked to be in his mid to late twenties. He was tall with medium length blonde hair.

"Oh, I'm trying to find a gift for my fiancé" I said when I shook off my shock.

"You shouldn't be here child, haven't you heard?" I just stared at him blankly until he sighed and said "The disease boy, How do I know you don't have it? You could be infected. Leave my shop and go home."

I could never stand people being rude to me "First off don't call me child or boy, you can call me earl and second what can you tell me about this disease?"

He looked surprised "An earl? As young as yourself? ah well I supposed it's of no matter. The disease has affected so many, people are growing these large hideous bumps on them, becoming feverish, and dying in little more than a day. Most everyone is holed up inside their homes, hiding in fear. I'm too afraid to go outside which is the only reason the shop is still open, not like anyone came in before you did."

How strange, I had never heard of a disease anything like it, I would have to tell Sebastian immediately. I thanked the shop owner and left. As I was walking I realized I had taken a wrong turn and ended up in a residential area,there was a horrible stench in the air and it seemed as if the houses had been abandoned. Some had odd red X's on the door and I started to walk up to one then I heard "Stay away" in my head, it was Sebastian, he must have found something as well. Generally we don't communicate through our minds unless we're right next to each other but can't speak, so it must be important. "Stay where you are, I'm coming to get you." I replied that I would and not more than a minute later Sebastian showed up.

"We need to leave now bocchan, it's not safe for you here. We can talk at the manor." He said, sounding hurried. The carriage hadn't waited for us so Sebastian carried me back to the manor, thankfully at a reasonable speed.

As soon as we reached the manor we went into my office and sat down. Sebastian was the first to speak, "Somehow this disease seems familiar to me, the symptoms, the speed at which it spreads but I can't put my finger on it, I'll have to do some more research tonight. Also those red X's on the doors signify that the people in that house are either suffering from the disease or have died from it, which is why I stopped you from going over. I apologize I was keeping a closer eye on you than usual and intruded your privacy." Sebastian is able to see through my contracted eye, eyepatch or not. Very early into our contract I had asked him to not do it because it was an invasion of my privacy, though now I was grateful he did it.

"It's ok" I told him "Figure out why this disease is familiar to you, research as soon as possible, I think we have a plague upon us."

"Thank you Young Master I will prepare your dinner and then begin my research. Though you should know the research I'm going to do is a bit… unconventional, it will require me to return to my full demon form and dig deep into my memories. I would like permission to use one of the guest rooms so I can avoid the other servants walking in on such a thing."

"Yes that's fine, do whatever you need to to get to the bottom of this." Whatever this is, How did it start? How do we stop it? Can we?

-Author's note-

Hey everyone thanks for reading. Ah I feel like this chapter was really long, though it might just be because of the new layout I did (Thanks to gurnius for the suggestion). Please review and next chapter should be up next weekend.