Chapter Thirty Five

Start from the beginning

Nowadays my power is not to feel - or to feel too much pain that it doesn't let me feel anything else.

I am standing in front of a mirror, my mother behind me with a proud grin and my dad at the corner of the room, leaning against the door his arms crossed over his chest and he looks content with it as well. I suddenly realise it's that easy to make people happy - it's about giving it a try.

"You look so beautiful," my mother says, her hands on my shoulders and her eyes on the reflection of me in the mirror. She made my hair herself, a loose bun which matches my dress. "You always do but-"

"Thanks," I reply with the soft smile I manage to form. I turn at them, the people who has always been there for me, though sometimes they couldn't show it. The proud smiles on their faces make me proud of myself as well. It's a graduation prom, an ending of a part of life and beginning of another.

I am not sure if our lives are chapters of a book or different books written at different times but I know that the end of this one will be good no matter what. With or without Calvin, I am thankful that he showed the life to me from a different window that I'd never imagined to see. Call it pink glasses or happiness or love. It was something else.

I know this is a moment that I should think of my future. A future that awaits for me in Brighton and even after. But then, another thought crosses my mind. Jack, my mind asks me, what was your biggest dream?

Really, what was it? What is it? Even when I think about one, I can't come up with anything that includes future except for until about two days. Even with Calvin, I have always known that it was a dead end. Because he is so perfect for me and I'm too fallible for him. Now I notice during the short time we've been together, the change wasn't one-sided. He changed, too, he is no longer that kind and nice boy. I've taught him the tricks of evil and he can be demanding or rude; he can hurt fucking hard when he wants to.

My mother's sweet voice brings me back to my room. "Are you ready?"

I nod without a word, and we walk downstairs. With a perfect timing, as if for once in his life, Richard knocks on the door. My parents stand there, with the same proud-now also a bit creepy-smile, waiting for me to open up. I take a deep breath, reaching forward and gripping the handle.

And my mind makes its trick again. In a slow motion, I imagine the person who knocks on the door to be Calvin in his tux, with a light blue handkerchief that matches my dress. I pull the door open, my eyes closed for a short moment, and I open them to see Richard instead - also in a tux and with a nervous face.

His face changes, his mouth slightly parts and his eyes wide open. I try not to mind his sudden daze and open the door a bit more. "Hey," he breathes with a silly grin on his face. Then, when he notices my parents behind me, he fixes his jacket and clears his throat. "Mr and Mrs Pierce."

"Hey Richard," my mother greets him. "Wanna come in?"

"Oh,"-he glances at his watch-"we'd better go."

I glance back over my shoulder and they give me a reassuring smile. And I do something I would never do. I hug them tightly. Taken aback, they wrap their arms around me and we stay like that for a while. "I love you," I mumble, withdrawing and walking at Richard again.

"We love you, too," they say in union. "Take care and have fun! Try not to drink much."

When we are out, walking to his car-his dad's car, he points out although I don't ask him-and he treats earlier to open my door as a gentleman which I know he really isn't. The car is a BMW and it looks clean, they probably had it cleaned beforehand. I shoot an unimpressed glance at him, getting into the car and watch him shut it back again and sit on the driver seat. He shoots a smile at me, as if everything is unicorns and rainbows, takes the belt and start the car. I do the same, minus a smile.