A little bit of Light (23)

Start from the beginning

The moment I walk in the front door everything goes hush. Katy is lounging with Tyson by the fontain, and I spare neither one of them a glance as I walk towards my locker. I pause briefly in front of it, feeling the gazes of curious kids on my back. So I force myself to snort, then move forward to open it.

It’s been re-decorated with pictures of penis’s. Very mature. You’d think I wouldn’t let it get to me-but I did. I wasn’t used to this, nothing even close to this sort of thing had ever happened to me before. I didn’t know how to cope right.

I rummaged through my stuff, looking for my first period text book. I was just getting organized when Henry lumbered over. Obviously he wanted awnsers as much as anyone else. Obviously he’d seen the website. You’ have had to be pretty distracted not to.

“Umm… Riley?” he started, looking at me strangely.

Here it came-questions I had no prepared awnsers for “Yes?’

“Are you aware of the….graphic art covering your locker?” he inquired. Was he baiting me?

“Yeah…” I mumble, not sure what he’s getting at.

“Okay. Well. Care to explain?” I blink at him.

He looks oblivious. His genuine confusion is spreading to me-Henry is one of the most popular boys at this school and he somehow doesn’t know about the website? Doesn’t know what people are saying? Doesn’t know what is the roundabout truth? “You… you don’t know?”

He stares at me as if I’ve lost my mind “Know what?”

I give hima puzzled look and then the bell rings. “I’m sure you’ll hear sometime today”

I leave him standing by my graphitized locker. I sit in the back corner of my first period class and I swear even the teacher gawks at me. No one thoughti’d show up. People thought I was still afraid. So I smiled big and gave a sarcastic little wave to the entire class. All eye’s were suddenly somewhere else.

I’m fifteen minutes into class-as in aimlessly doodling on my page, pretending the glances and snickers I got didn’t bother me, I got called down to the office. As I get up, gathering my stuff, I keep my eye’s steady, face neutral. When I’m safely hidden behind office doors, I crumble a little.

Life sucked. It was meaningless sack of shit! I lost Charlie-lost him, because I wasn’t ready for the world to know yet. I still wasn’t ready, but now I didn’t have the choice. The school knew, sooner or later my mom would know, eventually I wouldn’t be able to walk around town without everyone knowing!

“Riley Fallen?” the secretary asked, peering at me through thick glasses.

“What?” I hissed, shoving my balled up hands into my hoodies pocket.

“The prinicpal wants to see you” she replied. Of course he did.

I stalk into his office. As I slam the door shut behind me, he looks up startled. Our principal is a midaged dip shit. With already thinning hair and dull brown eyes, he looks ten years older. The beer belly and his repulsive attitude don’t help. “You asked for me?”

“Yes. Take a seat” he orders, eye’s harsh. I try not to flinch.

“Riley, did you know defiling school property is a crime? You can get expelled or even a criminal record which could impare your entire future.” he looks at me levelly.

“Well, if your refering to my locker, I have no idea who did it” I shrug, relaxing. I wasn’t in trouble.

“Don’t pretend like it wasn’t you Riley” he says coldly, eye’s turning to hard marbles.