Truce

Hermione and Draco only had two days before their first DATDA class and both were equally nervous. Hermione didn't want to have to face anything too emotionally exhausting, but she had a feeling when McGonagall said about being pushed to the limit, she meant it.
Draco however just didn't want to go through with it at all, mainly out of worry for himself, he didn't want to be weak, and he didn't want to show Granger that he could be. It was very important he remained above her, it was one of the few things from his past that he could keep up with still, despite the fact he didn't really feel that way anymore; and that was annoying the hell out of her.

At almost every opportunity within the two days, when they passed in the hall, he'd throw her a dirty look, even knock into her sometimes, but he never said anything. This build up of tension was great, he could see the fury in her eyes and he was practically revelling in it. That is until, he realised what a stupid move that had been. He mentally slapped himself for being so childish as he recalled that he would be stuck with her for the next 5 weeks and being on her bad side (not that he'd ever been on her good side) was probably the worst thing he could've done.

He was in the hall eating dinner on the second day of term, considering his options. He could go all out evil and piss her off for the entirety of the next month and a bit, but he imagined after a while that would get both very annoying and boring. He could ditch the class, that would be the easiest thing to do, as if he needed grades for the future that was planned for him. There wasn't a pass mark to become a death eater was there?
Draco smirked to himself slightly, then his expression turned sullen. He knew he shouldn't think about it like that, it wasn't funny, and all he ever wished for these days was that he didn't have to turn into one. But what choice did he have? His fathers word was final.
Resisting to think too hard about it though, a thought popped into his head, a resolution. The second it hit him he sprung up from his seat and rushed in search of McGonagall, who was absent from dinner, to ask to switch partners.
How couldn't he have thought of this before? It was simple, he'd just ask to switch and that would be that. Any other person was preferable to Granger.

As he reached her office, he stopped rather abruptly at the sound of voices.
Damn it, he thought, Granger's beaten me to it.
It was as if Dumbledore had heard his thoughts as to Draco's surprise the door slowly squeaked open and it revealed a stressed looking Hermione, a stern looking McGonagall and a rather amused looking Dumbledore.
"Ah Mr Malfoy," he said pleasantly, "do come in and join us. We were just discussing your partnership with Miss Granger here," he said referencing at Hermione. She gave him an almost disgusted look, but there was something else in her look he couldn't put his finger on.
"Oh, well that's also why I came here, I was going to ask if I'd be able to switch..." Before he could finish McGonagall interupted.
"And as I have just said to Miss Granger here there is nothing to be done about it. Professor Dumbledore has paired you together for some reason or another, I suggest you don't question it."
Draco rolled his eyes and Hermione let out a muffled groan.
"But why then sir," Hermione asked, "at least tell us why we have to do this together?"
Draco looked questioningly at the old man but he just smiled and looked Hermione right in the eye.
"I have my reasons for everyone of course, but you needn't concern yourself with my decisions. May I suggest whatever past rivalries you two may have had are firmly put away for the next 5 weeks at least?"
Draco looked at Hermione as if to say no way in hell, and she couldn't have agreed more. Groaning louder this time she persisted with her questioning.
"Dumbledore please, are you really saying there's no way to swap? I mean, can't I trade him for another Slytherin of something if that's what you want, I'd even allow Zabini over Malfoy."
"What and put me with Weasel?" he spat angrily, "I don't bloody think so."

As she was about to reprimand him for his language, Dumbledore silenced them both and looked rather serious, his usually twinkle had vanished.
"I just ask that you both trust in me. I'm sure you'll discover the answer soon enough, but for now just work together, no more questions asked."
And with that he practically forced them out the door until they were alone in the corridor.

Neither one of them attempted to leave. Hermione felt terribly down after her persistence that usually worked was rejected. She turned to Draco and let out a defeated sounding sigh.
"Look Malfoy, I'm sure you hate this situation as much as I do, but maybe this would all be a lot easier if we just called a truce."
He looked at her forcing a frown, trying to be as uptight as possible.
"Become friends with you? In your dreams Granger."
"I'm not asking that we suddenly become BFF's, just that we agree to stop... being rude to each other, and and start being slightly more pleasant." She struggled to say it as it was only ever really Malfoy who was rude to her, not the other way round.
Smirking slightly, Malfoy replied, "and what do I get out of this if I agree?"
"You get a marginally more peaceful next 5 weeks, now is it a yes or no?"
"Oh I'm sorry," he said in a way that indicated no sincerity at all, "was that a threat Granger?"
"Maybe," she said narrowing her eyes, "but maybe not. Just accept the bloody offer Malfoy and stop being such a prat."
He huffed, "if I accept this truce you can't go saying things like that."
He supposed it would be easier to get a good grade if they were able to actually work together in this experiment.
Hermione simply stared at him, raising her hand up for him to shake; and so after much hesitation he gave in.
"Fine, on one condition," he said as he quickly took her outstretched hand and pulled her slightly closer.
Unnerved, she replied, "and what's that?"
"You won't call me ferret anymore."
Annoyingly, she smirked. "Ok... But you can't call me mudblood either," she said smiling and then before he could react, she'd walked off.
"Bye ferret!" she sung happily.

She knew that would annoy him, and despite his outward dislike for her, which she returned infinitely, she also knew that deep down he wanted to get through this as quick as possible, much like herself, and a truce was the best way to do this. However she did want to have the last insult before the truce went into action.
As she turned a corner down the corridor, Draco let out a sigh, partly wishing he'd been a little less rude to her. He wasn't sure why he was bothered by it though, this was Granger, the mudblood, who he cared nothing for. Just now though, he felt it would be wrong to disappoint her; and that he would try and make this work, for his sake as much as hers.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
A/N; sorry this chapters a little shorter than usual, but dont worry, it'll get interesting soon;)