A Ball?

"Don't ask me Potter I have no idea where she is," said Draco tiredly to Harry. Both him and Ron had landed on Draco the moment he arrived in the Great Hall, badgering over where Hermione was.

"Don't lie to us you prat, why isn't she with you?" asked Ron angrily. Draco let out an infuriated sigh. "I told you! She could be on the toilet right now for all I know, or in her precious library, to be honest I don't care what she's doing." Well that was a lie. The two thirds of the golden trio eventually gave up sulkily and trudged back over to their table to wait in anticipation for Hermione's appearance.

Of course, Draco knew exactly where she was, she was with Dumbledore, no doubt having a lovely little conversation about him. He really wished they weren't though, he hoped that Hermione hadn't suddenly decided he was crazy and that he needed to be shipped off to some loony hospital, especially after being so nice to him. Nice, ugh what a nasty word that was; Malfoy's were never one's to fall for the whole nice act.

Once sat down at his table, him and Blaise exchanged a grave nod of acknowledgement before they both started eating their lunch. No one else was sitting near them particularly, so in a hushed voice, Blaise leaned over slightly to Draco and asked, "You know you can tell me anything right mate?"

Draco raised an eyebrow, it was rare to get any sort of emotions from Blaise, despite being each others best friends. "Yeah I know..." said Draco, trailing off awkwardly. Blaise looked at him as if expecting more. "What's your point?" he continued.

Blaise looked at him with big eyes, "you know, like, about Granger." Draco's first instinct was to shout at Blaise, tell him there was nothing to talk about, but instead he felt thoughtful for a moment. He couldn't believe Blaise had picked up on his feelings so quickly, was it that obvious? He bit his lip and Blaise smirked a little. "I see how often you look at her, and the weird little things you two do. Either you've gone mad or you're starting to really like her." Great, so even Blaise was considering the idea he'd gone mad.

"Well I'm not mad," said Draco defensively. Blaise smiled.
"Well then, I rest my case."
"Look, it's not like I've miraculously fallen in love with her. I'm just grateful she's kept everything to herself, as far as I know that goes to show that maybe she really does care." He looked to his best friend as if seeking approval.

"If she makes you happy, I'm not going to say anymore. Besides, it's safe to say she's matured into a... lovely looking young lady," he laughed as he said it, and Draco smirked a little. It was true.

Lunch was nearly over and he was starting to wonder exactly why Hermione was taking so long as she was to come down for dinner. However, seconds after thinking that, she appeared, walking quickly through the doors with what seemed to be very mixed emotions on her face. As she walked to her seat, she eyed Draco a little, then gave him a comforting smile. He smiled back as subtly as he could.

As she approached her seat Harry and Ron looked up, seeming relieved.

"Thank Merlin!" cried Ron, "we thought Malfoy had hexed you into oblivion."

"No Ron, I'm quite alright, I just went to see Dumbledore for a while, I wanted to ask a few things."

"Like what," asked Harry. She considered her response, she didn't really want to tell them about the plan with Malfoy.

"Oh, I was just interested in how the Room of Requirement worked." Both boys nodded their heads and then started talking about what their experiences were like in the task. She realised now the symbolism of the maze, it was to do with Draco's life, and how confusing it was for him. But she missed the field. The very real feeling warmth from the sun, and the softness of the grass, and just having his presence near her. He'd asked for peace and they'd got it. She really hoped he'd meant it when he said they'd go back there someday, though she doubted it. Having eaten her lunch very quickly as the others were finishing the majority of people stood up to leave. However Professor McGonagall, who'd decided to eat in the hall also, stood at the front and asked sixth years to stay seated. Ron groaned, "what now?"

All other years left to go to classes, whilst they remained seated impatiently awaiting McGonagall's announcement, whilst the expression on her face was one of excitement.

"Well students, I'm sure you'll all be relieved to know that you have completed one half of the tasks, there are only two remaining. However, we understand that your first two tasks have been both stressful and difficult to keep up with, so we've decided to hold a ball for you."

Several people erupted in chatter of excitement and glee, even Hermione. "Yes, it will be similar to the Yule Ball of course despite the fact it isn't Christmas. Now there are a few conditions, no alcoholic beverages or silly behaviour, we all just want you to have a good time. We also ask that the opening dance commences with the prefects and whoever their partners are. We also encourage that you all have at least one dance with your partner. For all those in a partnership with one of the same gender, don't despair, it will not be forced upon you." Ron and Blaise let out a sigh of relief, panicking at the idea of having to dance with each other.

Hermione sucked in a sharp breath. She was a prefect. She'd have to dance with Malfoy. She couldn't quite pinpoint how that made her feel exactly, and neither could he, as Draco also realised Hermione's position. He put on a look of disgust and sighed a little, for the benefit of the Slytherins around him, but underneath that, a rush of excitement shot through him. The thought of getting to dance with her was just, beautiful. He really tried to contain a small smile.
McGonagall went on to give all sorts of boring little details that Draco didn't really bother focusing on. His mind was whirring with possibilities, despite trying not to.
||||||||||||||||||||||
A/N; I FINALLY UPDATED! I'm so sorry I just really had some writers block, and I know this is a really crappy short chapter, but I will try to catch up quickly and get you updates more often!