Chapter 4 Why do people have to leave?

My dad called me for the first time today since his trip to Asia. We talked a bit and then I looked out the side window and the ambulance pulled up to my grandfathers house. I tell my dad I have to go and hang up on him. I grab my purse and lock the door. I run over to my grandfathers house and go inside. 

The paramedics have my grandpa hooked up to oxygen and he looks real sick. I take his hand and he opens his eyes, I say " hi grandpa I am right here for you." He just squeeze's my hand.  I ride in the ambulance with him and I don't let go of his hand. 

At the hospital the nurse takes me to a waiting room and I sit there wondering if I will get to see my grandpa again. Alec text me asking me if I was alright. I text him back saying I do not know. He texted back saying it will be okay call him and he will come to me.  Two hours pass by and a doctor comes into the room and asks me if I am the granddaughter of Mr. Les.  I tell him yes I am. He then tells me that I can come back and stay with him. With a heavy heart I ask the doctor how ling does he have? The doctor says I am sorry but not long.

I go into my grandfathers room and sit beside his bed side. He talks to me and I talk to him. I make myself a promise to not leave him alone.  My heart hurts so bad I really wish my dad was here to help me. I know I should have told my father on the phone but I do not want to hurt him.

Four days later around 11:30 at night my grandfather took his last breaths. I hugged and held his hand while he went. I also sang his favorite song.  My grandfather took his last breath at 11:35 pm a day before his 80th birthday. I crawled up next him and cried my heart out. I am alone and lost. I say my final goodbyes and left the hospital. 

I text Alec and he came to meet me. I could not go home, so we just walked the town till the sun came up. Alec came home with me. He cuddled me as I cried some more. We fell asleep together. I don't know what time it was but by the looks out the window the sun was setting. I sat in Alec's arms and we talked about everything. My phone started to ring and I looked at the caller id and it was my dad.

I answered my phoned and my dad did a concern hello. He said that he has been trying to call me but I have not been answering. Alec sneezed and my dad said who is that. I tell him that it was my friend Alec. He then gets all protective and says your grandfather better be there. At this point I lost it. Alec took my phone and said " hello sir my name is Alec. I regret to inform you but your dad passed away yesterday night with Nella by his side." My dad was quite and Alec said that I will be fine and he will stay with me. My father than said alright can I talk to my Nella. I took the phone back and said " I will be fine dad and don't worry Alec is here."  I than told him that grandpa will be buried with granny on Monday.  There will be a small service at the grave and that is it.

My father was quite and told me I can call him at any time and he will try and be there Monday. He said "that he will call me tomorrow." Then the protective side of him said Alec sits and sleeps away from me. I say "alright." Through I don't care I am sixteen and I love Alec. Alec and me sit there and tell stories of our grandparents. It makes me feel better this way. Alec's was raised by his dad too because his mom left when he was two. He has three brothers at his mom's and his mother only sends him money.

At the end of our conversation just before we fell asleep we both agreed that the question that will never be answered is why do people have to leave?