5

~ June ~

"Sawyer!" I called out. No response. What was that idiot doing now? "Sawyer Theodore Cox, I will destroy you if you don't answer me right this instant!"

An empty plastic Fireball bottle hit me in the side of my head. "I told you never to call me by my middle name." Sawyer shouted while walking lazily into his bedroom.

"I know. But you never actually do anything about it!" I responded as he flopped next to me on his bed.

"Would you want me to, July?" Sawyer questioned cockily. He rolled on top of me. "Because you know I'd be more than willing to do so..."

I smacked his head. "You idiot." I laughed and pushed him off me. "You have your date with Lila coming up. I'm sure you can hold all your horn dog needs until then." Getting up, I walked to his dresser and flipped through the pictures his mom had printed out earlier in the week. All of them included me in some way. There was one of me after a party, sitting next to a pile of Sawyer's vomit- I'd have to frame that one, and one of us at our first school formal, he had a ridiculous bright blue tux and I had on an equally ridiculous green one. 

I heard him groan and get up. "Of course I can wait until my date with Lila, but there's still no guarantee that she'll put out on the first date." Sawyer explained while his arms wrapped around my waist and he buried his face in my neck. "And you said if things didn't work out with Nikki I could collect my debt." He placed a chaste kiss in the corner where my neck met my shoulder.

"I did say that," I began as he pulled me tighter to him. "But, you did get a date with Lila and I never made any promises about that." And with my statement I ripped his arms away from me and kicked him in the knee. "Anyway, are we still going to see the Paper Jets this Saturday?"

Sawyer sucked his lips into his mouth and looked at the ground. "July, listen..." Uh oh, never a good sign when he uses that line.  

"Sawyer..." I said in a warning tone. "What did you do."

When Sawyer knows he did something dumb, and then he is confronted about it, he does this really weird thing. He breathes out while muttering random words and chuckling, then that progresses into the kind of laughter where you have no idea how to stop. And that's how I know when he's royally screwed up.

"Sawyer!" I yelled in an attempt to cut through his laughter. Abruptly he stopped laughing and looked me right in the eyes.

"I may have promised Lila our date could be on Saturday and that I'd take her to see the Paper Jets with me." 

"Funny. Good joke, ass-hat."

"July..." He dragged out. "I'm not kidding." I stopped looking out his window, and slowly turned to glare at him.

I swear to God time stopped, and Satan himself came into my body. Because I was closer to killing Sawyer than I was to failing geography.

"You did what?! I SWEAR TO GOD SAWYER I WILL KILL YOU!" And that's when I may have grabbed a pillow, pushed him back onto his bed, and held it over his face. "You idiot! I've waited months to see them and you promise our tickets to Lila-fucking-Elizabeth just so you can get lucky? Those tickets were fucking expensive and you promise to take someone else?" I would've held the pillow over his face until he stopped struggling, had it not been for Daniel calling me. 

As soon as I answered my phone, Sawyer took this as his cue to push me off of him and run to the other side of the room. "Yes! Hello Daniel Roth! How are you on this fine evening?" I asked while grabbing another pillow and throwing it at Sawyer as hard as I could.

"I am doing fine June..." He paused to think, and I took that time to throw the Fireball bottle back at Sawyer. "I don't know your last name." 

"Yeah that's okay!" I said nearly breathless as I dodged a pillow thrown from Sawyer. "Hey, Daniel, are you free on Saturday?" I asked. Sawyer dropped the coffee mug he was about to throw at me and gasped. In mute horror he mouthed "No!" and I nodded my head evilly back at him.

The phone got quiet on Daniel's side. "Daniel? Mr Roth?" I heard rustling before he spoke again.

"Yeah!" He all but shouted. "I mean, yeah I'm totally available on Saturday. What do you have in mind?" I tried not to laugh at his excitement. I pulled the phone away from my ear and put it on speaker so Sawyer could hear.

"Want to go see the Paper Jets with me? I already have two tickets, so all you'd have to bring is your lovely smile." Sawyer looked close to tears at this point, and it took everything I had not to laugh at his expression while Daniel was still on the phone.

"Holy shit... June! The Paper Jets! They're my favorite band! Yes, I'll go with you!" I glared at Sawyer with gloating.

"Sounds great! I'll see you tomorrow at school." And then I hung up. Sawyer and I help eye contact for a bit longer before I spoke again. "That's how the cookie crumbles mother fucker."

Sawyer ducked his head in defeat before pulling his phone out of his pocket and walking in the other room. But I could still hear him say "Hey Lila, bad news ..."

As terrible as it was for me to take Sawyer's one chance with Lila, I felt no remorse. I take what I want, and I refuse to apologize for it.

~ Daniel ~

"What are you doing?" Alex asked. I had been dancing in the kitchen. I can't believe June had asked me to go see the Paper Jets with her! Oh God, was this  date? Should I call her back and ask if this is considered a date? Do I bring flowers? Does she even like flowers? Should I call her again and ask what her favorite kind were? "Daniel!" I was snapped out of my thoughts by Alex's voice.

Awkwardly, I turned around to look at her as she stared at me in contempt. She had mastered the "glare of disappointment", as she called it, perfectly. And I was flinching underneath it.

"Yes? Dear Alex?" I practically skipped over to the fridge and grabbed a can of soda.

"What are you excited about?" She asked while reaching around me to grab a can of soda as well.

I popped open the top and took a huge gulp before smiling and answering her. "Guess who just got a date with the one and only June..." I waited for her to answer, but the only reaction I got was disinterest, so I told her anyway. "Me!" I bragged.

Alex almost dropped her can of soda, but she recovered. "You? You have a date with June?  That's impossible!"

"What? Why is that impossible?" I retorted, Alex stopped to gather her thoughts.

He set her soda down on the counter, coming towards me. "Well... I mean, she's June and you're... Daniel." We stared at each other.

I took a moment to think of a polite way to tell her to go away. "Wow Alex, that's such a kind thing to say. I'm busy at the moment so I'm going to leave you now. Bye." And I took my can of soda before pushing past her to the stair case.

"Daniel! That's not what I meant!" She attempted to reason with me. But I wasn't listening. I'm worth June's time. And I'm going to make sure everyone knows it.