Chapter 8

Asachiel rose, awoken by sudden sounds coming from somewhere outside her chambers. It was still night outside her bedroom's window, but for some reason the sounds had piqued her senses. She sat up straight in bed. The sounds continued, tense and muffled, as the voices moved along the inner walkways. She opened her door and peeked outside. Asachiel's eyes flashed in surprise at what she saw.

A small group of elves was hurriedly moving along the wooden walkways that waved along the side of several large trees. The group moved in and out of sight, but Asachiel caught glimpses of them. One of them was clearly limping. She strained her ears, trying to overhear what they were talking about.

Her eyes narrowed as she heard one of them tell the others '... coming down in great numbers... mountain... overrun.' She momentarily dwindled at her door, unsure of how wise it would be to go sneaking after them in her nightie. Finally, her curiosity got the better of her, and she slid along the walkway, doing her best to stay out of sight.

Her elven senses were buzzing. She felt that this group's conversation must be related in some way to the orcs she had encountered in the village. Who were they anyway? Had they come from the mountain just now? Had Thranduil actually paid heed to her warnings and sent out a scouting party? Did this mean he thought something big was happening?

It certainly seemed big to her, but she felt she couldn't put the pieces together. Why were orcs attacking villages up a desolate mountain? These attacks led somewhere other than random, she guessed.

'Come on', she exhaled, pushing herself forward as she inched closer to the group who were now standing only a few feet away from the walkway that led to the throne room. She could clearly hear their voices now, though her vision was blocked by a stone gateway. The conversation had now turned to how the elves were going to report their findings to Thranduil.

Dividing up responsibilities, they decided the deeper voiced elf should report on their meeting with the people. Asachiel concluded people must still remain on the mountainside. The elves were then going to explain how they encountered fierce resistance higher up the mountain, were entirely outnumbered by orcs, and had to fall back. The others made approving noises and promised support in case of a sour and tired king. The wounded elf winced audibly and suggested they get on with it.

Just before they moved out of earshot, they agreed that, clearly, the orcs were fighting differently, were more driven, and acted in a way that was a-typically organized, much different from before. They grunted agreement as one of them concluded the humans wouldn't be able to hold out long. Yet the biggest shock was still to come. Asachiel's eyes widened in horror as she heard one of them remind the others about mentioning the 'targeting of elves working with humans'.

Then they were gone, and as their footsteps were swallowed up by the closing of the wooden doors leading to the throne room, she slumped to the floor. Filled with trepidation, she sat there for a while, pulling her legs against her chest and hugging her knees.

Her head was swimming with worries and doubts. This raised questions about her own involvement in this. Were elves working with the people really being targeted? Her heart was tight against her chest as she reflected on the similarity in looks between her and poor Livie, who had been the only victim in the village attack. The only conclusion that made sense was that the arrows had really been meant for her and the other elves. She shook her head, trying to hold back her fears. She didn't need to relive this.

She sat there for a while longer, filled with doubt and guilt, until there was nothing for it but to skulk back to her room.