17 ll I Wish I Could Say That Was A Record

Val

"Valerie?"

I woke up to the unfamiliar voice and a solid string of beeps.

My eyes fluttered open and I stared up at a white ceiling.

"Huh?" I groaned, looking around.

"Oh good, you're awake," a nurse smiled at me, and rushed away to get a doctor.

My eyes were fuzzy and I had a killer headache, on top of the fact that I could barely move.

"Look who's up."

Dally stood in the doorway, sporting two black eyes and a split lip.

"What happened to you?" I asked groggily.

He snorted. "Socs. Chased 'em down for two miles and six of them jumped outta the car. Beat me up for a few minutes."

Dally laughed, and continued, "Don't worry though, none of them got off easy. They hopped into that blue mustang and drove away. Then, well..."

He stopped and looked away mid-sentence.

"Two-Bit found me and they took me
in with Johnny."

"I wanted to come," I replied, and shifted a bit.

"Why didn't you?" he asked. He didn't seem mad, just curious.

"Soda wouldn't let me," I responded. Suddenly I shot up. "Soda!"

Dally sighed. "He's one room over, passed out cold. You got off easy compared to him."

My face twisted into a frown. "And Johnny?"

He looked away. "They dunno. He's hurt pretty bad."

"All four of us in the hospital at once," I glanced away.

Dally smirked. "I wish I could say that was a record."

"How long was I out?"

"Day and a half."

"Glory," I groaned and fell back into my bed, and then moaned in pain.

"Take it easy, kid."

"I want to see Johnny."

Dally looked at me funny. "What about Soda?"

I but my lip and looked down as memories flooded my mind. "Before the accident, we... we got into a huge fight. He called me stubborn and hot-headed and said we shouldn't be together."

Dally raised an eyebrow. "That doesn't sound like Soda."

"I know," I breathed.

"If you can even get up, just go for it."

I took a deep breath and swung my feet over the side of the bed and hoisted myself up.

My leg was wrapped in a cast and my legs and arms were all bruised and skinned up.

"Glory, look at you," Dally sighed, leaning against the door frame.

"I'm fine," I protested, limping over to a pair of crutches that sat against the wall.

"Where's Johnny's room?" I asked him, and he pointed down the hall.

A doctor hurried over. "Ma'am, you are in no condition to leave the room."

I did my best to show sadness and said, "Please sir. My friend, he's hurt real bad, and he's just right there."

A tear dropped down and he bought it, so I hurried into Johnny's room with Dally at my heels.

On my way I peeked into the room next to mine. Soda was passed out on the bed, with his head wrapped up and three of his limbs in casts.

He was surrounded by Pony, Darry, and Steve, all of them silent.

I gulped so hard that it hurt my throat, and hurried past.

Johnny was laying in the hospital bed, sleeping. He was covered in scratches and his leg and side were wrapped up.

Two-Bit sat in a chair next to him, and looked up when I entered.

"Val, you're up," Two-Bit smiled.

I nodded, not taking my eyes off Johnny.

His face and body were cut up real bad, and his face was ghostly white.

"How's he doin'?" I choked out.

Two-Bit looked up at me and shrugged. "I dunno."

I bit my lip and stared at him.

"Has he been awake at all?" I asked.

"On and off," Two replied. I'd never seen him so quiet.

I limped over next to Johnny and stared at him. Anger continued to build up inside me and I just wanted to punch something.

"How's Soda?" asked Two-Bit.

"I wouldn't know," I snapped, causing Two-Bit to glance at Dally, confused.

The doctor was standing in the hallway, watching us.

"Valerie, I think it's time to go back to your room," the doctor muttered to me.

I inhaled sharply and took one last look at Johnny before hobbling back into my hospital room.

When I entered my room again, I laid in my bed and pushed my pillow into my face, letting out a muffled scream.

Just when everything was starting to work out, my life was crumbling before me.

-

A/N: ok the next chapter.... you guys are gonna hate me..... :]