Chapter 1: The Woman of the Hour

It was a busy day in Bellingham Washington. It was Inauguration day and the streets were wild and chaotic. Nearly everyone had spent the day in a fit of unspoken panic buying gifts for their daughters, mothers, and sisters who had accomplished what every woman in the world had dreamed of. Today was a day for the people. It was one of the few days in which everyone kept busy and everyone was important. It was a day in which danger and fear of the future took a backseat to the present and nearly everyone was happy. However, there was one girl who didn't seem to fit in. A girl who preferred to live her life in seclusion. A girl who truly didn't have a care in the world. Her name was Sarah Stryker.

Sarah wandered through the library in desperation. She had to find that book. She may not get the chance later. She would be leaving soon and the last thing that she wanted was to be behind on her reading. Sarah searched through the bookshelves until she stumbled onto the w section. She placed her finger on the far left corner of the shelf and ran it alongside it until at last she had found what she was looking for.

"There you are." She whispered as she tapped on the desired book with her forefinger. She picked it up and looked at the front cover. "The Wraith of Heaven" By Solomon Shields. One of Sarah's favorite up and coming part time authors. It was a book that she would have gotten ages ago had it not been checked out until recently. Now that she had it in her hands all seemed right in the world. Her world at least. She made her way towards an empty table, pulled up a chair and with eager eyes began to read.

A good book always put Sarah's mind at ease. It was like medicine. Anytime she was in a bad mood, anytime that she was overwhelmed with her school or domestic life she could come here and none of it would matter. The silence, the smell of a musty book, it gave her life. She didn't have to be anything for anyone else. She didn't have to measure up to someone else's expectations. She was just Sarah and for that brief period of time that was enough.

For a while Sarah remained lost in her novel but she had a nagging feeling that she was forgetting something. she couldn't focus. She was needed elsewhere. Reading could wait. She got up and slowly walked towards the front desk. That's when she heard a familiar voice speaking to the Librarian.

"Hi! I was just looking for my sister Sarah. She usually hangs out here. She looks just like me. Have you seen her? Please I really need to find her. She has somewhere to be."

"Hey Amy." Sarah said as she edged quietly behind her. Amy gasped and turned towards her.

"Sarah! Oh my God! Where have you been? We've been calling you and you didn't answer!" Amy replied.

"What's going on?" Sarah asked oblivious to her concern.

"You know who is here." Amy whispered.

"No I wasn't supposed to be meeting them for another- oh" She muttered as she checked her watch. Even with that surprise Sarah's voice remained in the same steady nonchalant tone. If she was going to be late then so be it.

"Come on Sarah! We're already late." Amy panicked.

"Just a sec. Let me check this out first." Sarah insisted as she handed her book to the Librarian.

"Another book by that guy huh? I don't get it. What's the appeal? His books are so pretentious and depressing. It's all doom and gloom with no light at the end of the tunnel." The Librarian said as he scanned the novel.

"Well I like his books. I find them very relatable."

"Come on Sarah! We have to hurry!" Amy said unable to contain her anxiety.

"Relax Amy. It's not the end of the world. It's not like the girls can go on without me."

"I know. It's just that I am so excited. You get to explore the world and experience so much. Not every girl gets that opportunity."