Talks, Walks, and Him

Recap:

Someone knocks. "Yeah?"  I call.

"Hey, Haley, can we talk?" Jake asks.

I don't turn around.

"Sure."

He closes the door softly behind him, venturing farther into my room. I snap a few more pictures, waiting. "Can we talk about what happened?"

I don't answer. He carries on. "I know I probably overreacted back there but...he was kissing you and I just snapped."

"I don't understand why, seeing as you were so welcoming today."

I hear his sharp intake of breath. "Listen, about that-"

"It's okay. I'm over it now." I turn around to find him standing a few feet away, eyes trained on my Nikon. "You were taking pictures?"

"Mhmm," I hum, taking it from around my neck and packing it back in its bag. "I'm sorry about yesterday," he blurts. "I was having a moment and...I'm sorry. I just wanted to take out my anger on someone. Mom had hidden the keys to the karate studio."

"Karate studio?"

"Yeah. She owns the one not far from here. She teaches kids."

I reach for the light, but he catches my hand. "Don't."

He guides my hand to his other one, intertwining his fingers with mine. Confused, I let him rub circles on my knuckles. "I'm sorry," he says again. I swallow. "It's.....it's okay," I manage to croak. He smiles sadly, dropping my hand. "The moonlight shines perfectly on your hair, you know. That's why I didn't want you to turn the light on. And also I didn't want you to see me do this."

I feel the soft brush of his warm lips on my cheek. I don't move. "I'm glad you're here," he murmurs. After a long pause, he leaves. My feet stay rooted to the spot. Oh my. No way I'm getting any sleep tonight. I slowly climb into bed, settling deep into the feathery pillows and cloud-like mattress. Sleep, come at me.

******************************************************************************************************

"Breakfast!" a bell like voice calls through the golden box on my wall. I groan, rolling over. I fumble for my phone. 6:30. Ugh, school. A new  school to be exact. I stumble out of bed, pulling on a black romper with some red Vans. I then apply my smoky eye look and red lipstick with a red bracelet to match. I clasp the teardrop necklace around my neck, liking the way it fitted into the hollow of my throat. I grasped my bag and trudged downstairs. Gus was sitting in a highchair, chowing down on raw carrots slathered in ranch dressing. I ruffled his hair.

Lea smiled brightly at me and set a plate of big, Texas sized cinnamon rolls infront of me. I smiled in thanks. I had met her the night before, at dinner. She had graying black and kind brown eyes to match her chocolate skin. She had to be in her sixties at least. And she could cook.

I bit into the bun, moaning with delight. "These are to die for, Lea."

"Thank you, cher."

Mason bounds in after me, a duffel bag slung over his shoulder. "Where you off to?" I ask, raising my eyebrows. "Back to college. Duh."

He bops my head, playfully of course. I throw him a bird, earning a glare from Lea. "Sorry," I mutter sheepishly. Gus raises his chubby arms. "I'm done, Li Li. Get me down!"

Lea puts him on the floor, and he takes off, screeching. "Bye, Banshee!" I yell after him. Mason chuckles before disappearing. Jake walks in next, shirtless. I nearly choke. "Child, go put on a shirt."