𝐱. TWO MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

Start from the beginning

I never really expected that one. I never even thought about him being the reason why I'm missing a part of my life.

"That, or he just did it to have you all to himself," he said.

"He wouldn't do that," I snapped at him through gritted teeth. "Klaus promised he would never use his compulsion on me. He thought it untrustworthy."

"Oh, come on, Janelle. Think about it," Damon said, "you dated Kai, his family locked him up, you were heartbroken, and then less than a year later you just so happen to get together with Klaus? I don't buy it."

Damon was obviously speaking from personal experience, but his situation is fairly similar if what happened to me is true.

"Okay, let's say that I did have Klaus erase my memories," I said warily. "I was a vampire at the time. Wouldn't I have gotten them back when I became human?"

"Not necessarily," he replied. "We don't hear a lot about vampires turning into witches. It's a broad theory, but still, not much to go on."

I sighed, "I guess I'll just have to ask him myself."

"Yeah," Damon nodded, bringing me into his arms for a warm hug. "Let me ask you something. If you were compelled to forget your feelings for Kai, would you even want them back?"

I guess I never thought of that. I mean, either way, someone's going to get their heart broken. I've been with Klaus for 18 years — if I choose him, it'll hurt Kai. But if my feelings do suddenly come back, who's to say Kai's my automatic first choice?

My relationship with Klaus could overpower what Kai and I used to have, but then again, it could be the exact opposite. How I see it, Kai has two chances at losing and Klaus only has one. That's in no way is a fair fight.

"I don't know," I answered, burying my head in his chest. "I just need some time to think about what I'm going to do first."

"Well, whatever you need, I'm here for you," he smiled.

"Thanks, Damon," I said. "Now, how about I do something for you?"

"Such as?" he asked.

"You'll see," I smirked, dragging him out the door by his arm.

———

"What is this place?" Damon asked for the fourteenth time since we left the house.

"It's where we practice our magic," I repeated to him. "New Phoenixes train here, try out new spells and potions. Pretty basic witch stuff. We even have a school, but that's in a more secluded area."

"I've never seen it before," he said.

"That's the point, Damon," I laughed as he continued to take everything in. "Cassandra keeps it cloaked, so trespassers don't come by. I managed to get her to lift it for tonight, so you can see what we're doing."

"And what is it you guys are doing exactly?"

"We are bringing Bonnie home," I stated and Damon as he stopped in his tracks from shock. "Come on. The girls are waiting for us."

I didn't tell Damon what we were going to do because I wanted it to be a surprise. Also, why I didn't let him tell Elena where we were going either. She's been blowing up his phone since we've been gone, so I made him turn it off.

"I thought you said —"

"I know what I said," I cut him off, "but Cassandra told me it would be possible if I did a spell with more than one witch. I can bring her home, Damon."