0: Welcome to Hogwarts (Prologue)

Start from the beginning

"Don't say that." I scold. "You never know, I could become a Slytherin, and you like me." I shrug and his eyes widen briefly, looking to me with a bewildered expression.

Harry's eyes flicker between the two of us, clearly unsure as to what side to take. While I understand where Ron's coming from, I can't help but disagree. In the last two years I spent a lot of my time at Malfoy Manor, and Narcissa was exceptionally kind.

"Just promise me, no matter what house we're in, our opinions won't change about each other." I hold my pinky up, and Ron latches his to mine. I then look to Harry, raising my other pinky into the air. He beams as our fingers intertwine, and he does the same to Ron.

"Pinky promise." We all say in unison.

•••

As I stand outside the Great Hall, waiting for our cue to get sorted it feels like the Collectors Card is burning a hole through my robes. I lied to Ron, I reinstated our friendship with a lie, and I feel terribly guilty. I peek into my robe pocket, relieved that Salazar Slytherin has vanished from the cards portrait.

As I look back up at the others in a daze, I find myself afraid that this could be a sign.

"Its true then, Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts. My names Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." The boy strolls over to us with a sly smirk followed by two other boys. Draco's platinum hair is slicked back, his ice eyes trained on Harry.

Ron snorts, immediatly covering his mouth with his hand. His amusement still showing through his eyes. Draco takes notice and scowls.

"Think my names funny do you? I don't need to ask who you are." He briefly looks Ron up and down. "Red hair, Freckles, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley." He snarls, obviously disgusted.

Ron takes a step towards Draco, but I quickly latch onto his shoulder pulling him back. "Don't." I breathe quietly into his ear, even I could barely hear myself.

"Your friend however, she seems to know who she's in the presence of." He gloats, glancing across the group of first years to see if anyone is listening. He's not wrong, I do know of his family name, and I'm sure he knows of mine.

"Nice to see you're so sure of yourself." I give him a tight lipped smile followed by a short nod. "Cassidy Milburn." Draco's eyes snap back to meet mine, he smiles softly. Rons shoulders slump as he remembers Draco and my past.

"So, it is you."

•••

I stand among the other first years who are waiting to be sorted. The bushy haired girl from the train got sorted into Gryffindor, along with a boy who apparently lost his frog during the train ride but found just as we met with Professor McGonagall. Both took quite a long time which started to get on my nerves. Ron lightly nudges me with a grin as if he was trying to calm me down but I could tell he was just as paranoid.

"Draco Malfoy." Professor McGonagall calls which catches my attention. Although we all know where he's going to end up, I can't help but be fixated on him. I watch as he confidently takes a seat on the stool, the whole school is facing him but he's staring at me. I don't break away and begin to feel a sense of embarrassment, the blood rising to my cheeks. He gives me a sly grin, as if I were some amusing toy to him.

"Slytherin!" The sorting hat announces breaking my train of thought. He finally breaks eye contact with me as he hops off the stool and strolls towards the Slytherin dining table. McGonagall looks down at her list, I expect my name to be next.

"Cassidy Milburn!" She reads aloud, confirming my suspicions.

I make my way to the stool, Professor McGonagall delicately places the hat on my head.