six

a/n i have been sitting here for half an hour trying to figure out the gif, bc it looks like michael is gonna kiss luke but then luke nods his head toward the camera like hes saying "no, babe don't, theres a camera behind us" and then michael looks out of the corner of his eye and just pretends nothing even happened aH ETERNAL BOYFRIENDS

--

"fl-flyer's company, th-this is michael, h-how may i help you?" michael asked once he picked up the office phone, admiring the way his engagement ring shined at him. he adored it, he adored brooks, he adored the world, he was so fucking happy and it was all thanks to the ring around his ring finger.

"could i speak to luke hemmings? this is mr hankins; luke and i had lunch yesterday to discuss some business plans and i'd like to get back to him on those," the person on the other end replied. michael pressed his lips together and nodded, but then remembered that mr hankins couldn't see him.

"sure, let m-me go see if h-he's available, please h-hold," michael pressed the other line button and punched in luke's number carefully, not really wanting to speak with luke but having no choice.

"hello?" luke said once he had picked up the phone. michael chewed on his lower lip and kept his gaze on his engagement ring, trying not to pay attention to how husky luke's voice sounded. it honestly sounded like his morning voice and probably was.

"h-hi, i-i have m-mr hankins on th-the other line, h-he wants to sp-speak with you," michael explained, absolutely hating how many times he stuttered. he usually stuttered a lot around those who made him nervous, so that was probably a reason why he was stuttering around luke so much. today was friday, meaning that he had those speech therapy lessons downtown and to be honest, michael could not be more excited about it. he couldn't wait to speak without a stutter.

"oh, yes, please put him through," luke paused before he curtly added, "also, i'll be paying you a visit during lunch. have you been eating with the others, or should i go down to the first floor to speak with you?"

"i-i'm in the break room f-for lunch, h-here's mr hankins," michael quickly replied before he switched lines and put mr hankins through. he put down the phone and sighed, running some fingers through his black hair, but then saw his engagement ring again and a beam overcame his lips.

"new jewellery, kiddo?" michael glanced up and noticed alex standing behind his desk, leaning over to catch a glimpse of the ring around michael's stubby finger. michael beamed up at his friend and instinctively ran his fingers over the diamond.

"m-my boyfriend proposed," michael explained, grinning widely at alex. alex's brown eyes widened before he looked at the engagement ring once more.

"well, shit. congrats, kid," alex gave michael a little grin and added, "well, now i feel weird calling you kid since you just got engaged. you're not a kid anymore, mike. although you do give off a young vibe, i dunno," alex shrugged and jokingly leaned over to ruffle michael's black hair up. michael fake-pouted and leaned away so alex just barley missed michael's hair.

"g-got anything for me to sh-shred?" michael questioned, since whenever alex came to visit him he always had something for michael to shred. alex just shook his head and propped his chin up with the palms of his hands.

"nah, i just wanted to visit my favourite coworker," alex spoke fondly, giving michael a slight smirk before he added, "can i chill here until lunch break? i really don't want to start any more sales right now."

"i-if you want," michael murmured, glancing over at the time. the two had about half an hour until their lunch break, and michael wasn't looking forward to it since luke wanted to speak to him about something. maybe he and alex could just go out to eat for lunch or something? anything to avoid luke.