Chapter Nine: Ruby's problem-oh.

Chapter 9: Ruby's problem-oh.

I found myself standing naked in front of so many cameras at my photo shoot. I must have got the job! That’s when the photographers were laughing and more and more were coming out from all over the place. I screamed for them to stop as I realised they were paparazzi - this was not the job. This is not the deal. I found myself saying almost robotically: "I'll take my clothes off and i'll be shameless, because everyone knows that’s how you get famous. I look in the sun and I look in the mirror, I'm on the right track, yeah I'm onto a winner." I began to break down in front of everyone, I was an emotional wreck "I don't know what's right and what's real anymore...I don't know how I'm meant to feel anymore...I'm being taken over by the fear..." It is then that it goes pitch black as if I've just passed out.

I wake up dripping in sweat and shaking. shit. I instantly reach up groping my body desperately in search of clothes -Thank God, I was dreaming. That is the last time I fall asleep listening to music - especially Lilly Allen.

I glance at the clock realising that its 7:30 am I've over slept by at least 45 minutes - typical, this day is not off to a good start. I rip off the covers from my toasted body, turn off the music, and force myself out of bed.

I stood at the end of my drive waiting for Ruby's little pea to come into view. It is unlike her to be late. Thousands of possible worse-case scenarios were running through my mind - maybe she crashed, she's dead, she was raped, her car was hit by a drunk, she could have hit a dog and took it to the vets, she’s angry at me, she’s forgotten me...oh shit. I checked my phone - nothing. Good, maybe she is driving so she cannot tell me that she is running late. Eventually my anxiety was alleviated once I saw the pea-mobile making its way towards me, rather quickly. Ruby came to an abrupt stop with no music on and her hands tightly gripped to the wheel - I sensed something was wrong. I threw my bag into the boot and hastily walked round to the driver’s side. Gently opening the door, I bent down so that I was at eye-level with her. She gradually turned her head towards me, revealing her red and puffy face with streams of black mascara down her cheeks.

"Oh Hun..."

Her face cracked into an expression of pure pain. It was as if her heart just shattered it front of me into a million pieces. She threw her arms around me and buried her head into my neck letting out sobs. I supported her head and tried to calm her.

The silence needed to be broken "Hun, let me drive. We can talk once you have calmed down a bit". I helped her unbuckle her seatbelt as she slowly nodded wiping away one of her many tears. As she took her place in the passenger’s seat, I opened her window slightly allowing the fresh breeze help alleviate some of the tension, reminding her to feel carefree.

The journey was silent but I knew that is what Ruby needed to gather her thoughts. As I pulled into a parking spot, I turned off the ignition and removed the keys.

"Th-Thanks..." She paused shortly before she spilled her torment "Chase said that we should have a break..." She looked at me with tear-filled eyes.