Chapter Sixteen: Four Years....Gone?

Chapter Sixteen: Four Years…. Gone?

                Matthew groaned as he once again felt the pounding in his head begin, though it wasn’t quite with the same intensity as it had been before—how long ago had before been?

                He slowly opened his eyes and realized that it was nearly completely dark outside and he was happy for that. It kept the light from blinding his eyes and increasing his headache.

                Glancing around the tiny room, lit by a single lamp on the table beside the bed, Matthew realized he was alone. The small chair beside the bed was empty and the only thing leaning against the far wall was a rickety wardrobe with crooked doors.  Where was he?

                Matthew closed his eyes again and wracked his brain in an attempt to remember. The image of a golden haired angel with expressive blue eyes and an innocent smile filled his memory but was quickly erased when he remembered what that angel, and the big bellied man who had also been in this room with her, had told him.

                It was April of 1851…. Normally a date wasn’t something to be bothered by except that the last memory Matthew had was of heading to town in August of 1847. That was four years! Four years of his life simply gone. Where was his father? Where was Deniah? Was his baby sister okay? Though she wouldn’t be much of a baby anymore—she would be 16 now and possibly looking at marriage…..

                Matthew’s fists clenched as he imagined some man courting his innocent sister. He had to get home… were they waiting for him? If they were then he knew Deniah would be pacing the floors; she had always been the type to worry over the men in their lives. Ever since their mother had died she had taken on the role of the only woman in the house.

                Matthew knew he didn’t make it easy on her. He liked to stay out too late and drink too much. And their father ignored her most days despite her efforts to garner his attention. Deniah deserved better than the two of them.

                He opened his eyes again when the sound of the door opening reached his ears.  There she was; the angel. Her slender body was all wrapped in faded blue gingham, her golden hair was only half up today and long swirling tendrils of it fell over her shoulders. Her face was so innocent and flawless save for a long thin scar on her left cheek that he somehow had not noticed before.

                “You’re awake!” she exclaimed happily as a bright smile lit her face and curved her full cheeks.

                “Yeah,” Matthew agreed. “I think I might make it after all.”

                “I brought you some broth. My papa said it would be best for you to get this down before you try a real meal.”

                Matthew’s stomach rumbled in argument, craving something a bit more filling than broth. “That’ll be just fine, ma’am.”