Instead she glances at her watch and adjusts a gold-blinged purse to sit higher on her shoulder.

'Seriously? I'll remember this next time you ask for something.' I don't bother hiding my annoyance.

Chunks of my black waves now flop wildly about. I brush an escaped curl from my face, shoving it back in my ponytail. As I do, my skirt rises to expose the cut-off jean shorts smuggled underneath.

Marissa's eyes lock on the shorts, her lips curl into a sneer. If it isn't Vogue, it isn't Marissa. 'Really, Rach?'

She shakes her head and turns away, giving me the opportunity to take her in. She's half a foot taller than me, though a lot of that is the navy heels, and her height only adds to the fact that she looks like a model in our school uniform. The white dress shirt clings to her willowy form. It's covered by a meticulously pressed blue blazer with gold buttons, and the matching skirt stops just above her knees accentuating her long legs. On me, it hangs halfway down my calves.

I sigh and use the door for balance while I wipe myself off and straighten my skirt. The driver taps impatiently on the steering wheel, the taxi jerking forward. Before I can gather my things, Marissa whirls around, her eyes bulging.

'He's rushing you? And you paid him?'

'It's fine,' I say, loading my arms at record speed.

Still, she starts in a determined march to the door, making me drop my bag to grab her arm. All I can picture is the cab driver's face, flashing on the screen beside the three other boys.

'Just let this go,' I say, giving her a gentle tug back.

'Let it go?' Marissa's eyes widen even further. 'He got you here late, which makes me late.' She yanks her arm away. 'Besides, nobody gets away with treating you like that.'

'Oh really?' I purse my lips, half smiling, trying to lighten her mood.

'Really.' Marissa taps the passenger window, turning back to add, 'Nobody but me.'

I shake my head as her back arches like a cat readying for attack.

The cab driver glances past her, his eyes locking on me.

'Let me just get my things,' I say, rushing to the back seat and scooping up the bag. As soon as I shut the door he revs off, splashing water onto Marissa's shoes.

'Eww. Jerk.' Marissa grabs an envelope from my pile, balls it, and throws it after the taxi. It lands in a puddle a few feet away.

'That was my application for the social work program.'

Her arms cross, and she takes in my frustrated look. 'So?'

'So, it took me hours to fill out.'

'Time wasted.' She sighs at my glare, bending to wipe her shoes, and scowling at the dirty water left on her fingers.

'Wasted? There are so many kids in need of help. You of all people should know what it's like to be without a guardian.'

'Should I?' She glares and holds my arm for balance, her touch lingering extra-long, no doubt to dry her hand. The glare trails to my bird's-nest ponytail. 'You look pathetic.'

'How kind.' I bat her hand away, roll my eyes and adjust my armful of stuff, not sure if I should start walking to school or wait for Marissa, who looks to be rearing up for another lecture.

'We're late, remember,' she says, taking quick steps ahead into the park.

I shrug and jog to catch up.