Chapter 2- Meeting the dudes;

“This will be you’re room. I hope you will not take advantage of this freedom. We will of course not hesitate to put you in a secluded cell.” I rolled my eyes as the man droned on at me. “Yeah, yeah I get it. No killing, raping, assaulting...littering” I tried to hold back a laugh, failing miserably as the man glared daggers at me. “Sooo, see ya!” I grinned at the man as he turned to leave.

Wow. Just wow. My room was amazing! Well compared to the jail cell I’ve spent the past month inhibiting anyway. There was a single bed in the centre of the room, as well as a set of draws. There was a bathroom to the side, where I could see a shower as well as a toilet and sink. The only window in sight was hidden behind the chest of draws, although I could clearly see it was quite a reasonable size.

I frowned at this. How am I going to escape for my runs if there’s a chest of draws blocking my only exit? I sighed as I easily tugged the draws away from the window, and placed them instead on the other side of the room. Much better.

I glanced out the window. It was still early in the day. Everyone in Ward C was in lessons by now. Luckily for me, I had been excused from the morning lessons, not that being stuck in a room with that whiney git of a man was much more interesting, however I had been told more times than needed that I must return to lessons at lunch, or there would be ‘severe consequences’.

I tugged on my case of clothes. It was only half full, since at home I was never allowed new clothes. However I was grateful that this was not one of those god awful schools where there was a uniform policy. Now that I could not have dealt with!

I pulled out some light blue denim skinnys, and a blue tank top, quickly pulling off my prison overalls, and slipping into them. I groaned in pleasure as the soft fabrics touched my skin.

Glaring hatefully at the evil overalls, I grabbed them and chucked them under the bed. Urgh!

I quickly brushed my mop of hair, smoothing it down until it was deadly straight, just the way I liked it. I quickly pulled on my grey plimsolls, and checked myself in the mirror. Good to go.

 If there’s one thing I learned from the little (yet long enough) time I spent in prison, is that you have to appear confident to survive, even when you’re not.

If someone suspects you’re weak, well you’re games up.

I strolled down the hall confidently. Knowing that if anyone sensed weakness, they’d play me like a fool. Not that any of these fuckkers could take me. I am a wolf after all.

Caught up in my thought, I almost didnt notice when I whacked into a petite figure in front of me. I glanced over to glare at the person but before I had the chance a high pitched voice cut me off “Oh crapp! Im so sorry! Me and my clumsyness..it happens sometimes” she glanced at me, a small smile inching up her face.

I stared at her, struck by her innocence, before finally replying, realising I must have looked a right numpty. “Um yeah. No worries mate”

She smiled again before asking “So you’re new I guess?” “Yeah” “Thats cool, want me to show ya the ropes of this place? Me and my friends got it covered” She seemed nice enough. Her blonde hair had been split into two plats, and her emerald green eyes shone with an enthusiasm I’d never experienced. I grinned at her, her enthusiasm spreading to me, “Sounds cool.”

We walked down the winding hallways, chatting idly to each other, about nothing in particular. When we got to a large room, I assume is the canteen, Alex, as she later told me was her name, lead me to a small group at the back of the hall, where the tables had been pushed together.

“Guys, this is Robbi, she’s new” She grinned at them as they each smiled at me. “This is Derek. Anna. And Zane.” She gestured to each one individually, as they each offered a friendly smile and a wave. I smiled in return “Hey dudes”

“Derek and Anna there are yanoo...an item” She gestured to them before winking, causing us all to laugh. “And this beast of a guy is my boyfriend” She smirked at Zane before skipping over and climbing onto his lap. I smirked at them. Think i like these guys already. “Nate should be here soon too” Anna smiled at me. I gave her a confused look to which Alex replied “He’s the last member of our ‘group’. He’s cool, you’ll like him...” Derek scoffed and I gave him a confused look but Alex cut him off with a stern look. Okaaay then...

“So Robbi, how’d you end  up in here then?” Zane smirked at me. I felt my pulse quicken at the simple question, my mind remembering the events of the months before. I shrugged and glanced down, eager to hide my eyes. Everyone always said I was easy to read. And now, its like my emotions are displayed though my eyes. When I’m mad, they’re a deadly black. When Im excited they always have a sparkle to them. Now, I was sure my eyes would be a shuddering grey. I felt scared. Scared and guilty.

I heard Alex gasp as I snuck a peak at them. Knowing she’d seen, I turned my face back to the ground. There was a moment of silence before Anna spoke “I got in here for arson.” As I peeked up from the floor, I saw her rolling her eyes “Set fire to my old school. That’d teach those bitches to mess with me” She had an evil gleam in her eye as a smirk took hold of her face, yet I could tell from the clear relief on her face that no one was seriously hurt in the fire.

Zane spoke up next “Attempted murder. Attempted manslaughter would be more accurate though.” He rolled his eyes. Everyone else had already heard the story. He looked straight at me before smiling “Stupid dick was tryna steal my girl... bad choice dude” He smirked at me and I forced a smile and a quiet laugh.

“I didnt even do anything!” Derek complained and everyone laughed. Anna rolled her eyes before cutting in “He’s adamant he wasn’t dealing drugs to the local kids...apparently it was his younger brother.” Derek glared at her, but we could all see it had no depth to it. He actually loved her, and it was clear she felt the same about him. It was a deep love. As deep as it could get for humans. He turned back to me “It was my brother. I just couldn’t let him take the rap for this. I was the one to get him involved in the drug trade, it was my fault, not his.” Although the story was heartfelt, he grinned at me. I smiled at him. A real smile. It was a sweet story of brotherly love.

I looked over at Alex, expecting her story. Its fine if she doesn’t want to say though, who am I to judge since im not gonna be telling them anytime soon. She smiled at me through her long brown lashes. “Assult if ya’d believe it” My mouth popped open in an ‘o’. Seriously? Assult? Alex was barely taller than 5 foot, and was as scrawny as a rake,  not that this made her any less beautiful, just not someone you’d expect to get done for battery. She rolled her eyes at my face, pushing my jaw shut. “Dont let the flys in girl! Who knows where they’ve been” I looked at her expectantly, hoping she would go on “This girl was beating up my brother. He’s only 9, and he has autism. He came home one day all battered, and I couldn’t help myself. The girl was pretty smashed up afterwards. So thats why I’m here. ‘Kiddy beater’ they used to call me, although she’s the only bitch I’ve ever hurt, and ever will.” I smiled at that. I can’t see how that ended with Alex being in the Ward C, meant for the most dangerous students here. She noticed my confused look and continued “I’d been getting in with the wrong crowds, dealing drugs to my so called boyfriend, and stealing vodka. All that teamed together, my parents couldn’t wait to hand me over to the cops, even if they did have to exaggerate.” She spoke the last part through clenched teeth and I knew she was mad at her parents for lying and getting her stuck here. Abruptly, her frown turned to a grin.

“Dont worry if ya don’t wanna talk about it. Nate never told any of us either, and he’s known us a hell of a lot longer than you have” I smiled at her, silently thanking them all for not pushing me. Who knows what I would do if I had to relive that memory.