6| s t o r m y • w e a t h e r

As soon as I got home, I placed my bike in the garage and sent a quick group text to Elle and Nick.

Keen on seeing Paper Towns tomorrow?

Within minutes came their replies.

Elle: Hell yeah! There is no way I am missing a John Green movie! Although it'll have to be an afternoon screening cause my game is at 9:50.

Nick: You are trying to drag me along to a chick flick!? :o Count me in ;)

Excitement bubbled through me, Ever since I had read the book, I had been bursting at the seams to watch the film.

Pulling the house key out of my schoolbag, I unlocked the door and walked inside, dumping my school bag on the kitchen bench.

Dad would be home at around seven, that was if, he was even coming home. My stomach did a flip, what would I do if he didn't come home? I would have no parents to look after me, not that I was a little child anymore, but still!

Don't be silly Olive! I said to myself, mentally kicking myself at the thought. I was seriously overreacting.

Grabbing a banana from the fruit bowl, I munched it down as I went to get ready for my run.

Peering out my window, I noticed that rainclouds were starting to form over in the distance. Opting for a long sleeve breathable running top, and my ankle length spandex, I knew that they would protect me from getting sick.

My friends would always think that I was mental, running in stormy weather. But from years of experience, I knew that the canopy of the forest provided me with shelter from the rain. Even in the winter, most of the trees are deciduous do they still provided some form or protection.

But when the snow came, they seemed to not understand how I didn't catch frostbite. Well at first, the running was hard and I would return home with blue toes, as I would struggle to breathe. But as I adjusted to the low temperature, and I started running longer distances, faster, I warmed up quicker and stayed warm for longer.

I guess that it just took practice.

Despite the weather, it would never stop me from running. I had formed a habit, and it just felt too odd to skip my daily exercise.

----------

After I reached the lake, the rain was coming down in sheets and I was quickly becoming drenched from head to toe. It had been a mistake to step out of the foliage and into the open.

Quickly ducking back under the trees, I squeezed out my ponytail and jumped up and down to lose some water.

As I ran through the glade on my way home, I spotter movement out the corner of my eye. Turning my head I saw a shadow about 20 meters to my left. It stayed by my side for a few minutes or so before it disappeared from view all together.

That was weird, I thought. That shadow looked like a boy.

----------

After arriving home, I completely stripped of all my wet clothing and jumped into the shower to help bring my body up to temperature again.

From the minute I arrived home, to the time I jumped in the shower, my body had cooled down rapidly and I had found my teeth chattering.

Don't ever doubt the positives of keeping your blood pumping.

After washing off every trace of rain, mud and leaves, I hop out and towel myself dry.

Popping on some sweats and a jersey that was 3 sizes to big, I get started on preparing some dinner.