Chapter Twenty-One: A Proposition

Quote of the Chapter

"She was brave and strong and broken all at once."

____________________________________

Song of the Chapter

  Whatever it takes
'Cause I love the adrenaline in my veins
I do whatever it takes
'Cause I love how it feels when I break the chains
Whatever it takes
You take me to the top, I'm ready for
Whatever it takes
'Cause I love the adrenaline in my veins
I do what it takes  

Whatever It Takes by Imagine Dragons

_______________________________

Cast of the Chapter

Unavailable

___________________________

Rose's Point of View

"Thank you for the dinner, Seth."

He was kind enough to buy me dinner and get me out of that place. He smiled and adjusted his violin case as we walked to my apartment building. "You're welcome," he said, his smile fading a bit. "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't know your boyfriend was there. I saw how you looked at him tonight and felt guilty for inviting you. It was a big night for me and I just wanted you to be there, you know, share that moment with me. I guess I'm still hoping."

My heart broke for him. He was generous, kind, patient and so full of hope and love- for me. I felt like I was holding him back. I swallowed and said, "Seth, you're too good to me. I don't agree to go on dates with you because I don't want to lead you on and give you false hope. I love my boyfriend. I love Dimitri and he loves me. We've been encountering some hardships, but I believe it only strengthens our love, not weakening it. I don't want to hurt you."

He gave me a sad smile and said, "Like I said, I'm hoping. Maybe one day you'll give me a chance and see me as something a little more special than just a friend. I know you love him and I can't exactly say I don't mind because the truth is, I do mind. I can't do much about it, but hope. I don't want to hurt you either. As long as you're happy." He looked at me intently and continued, "I really like you, Rose. I really do."

Every fiber and cell in my body ached for him. He was holding onto me the same way Dimitri and I were holding onto each other. None of us planned on letting go anytime soon. I let out a shaky breath and said, "Seth, I really want you to let go of me. I'm not letting go of him."

"I know. Please don't push me away," he said and stopped right in front of my apartment building. I sighed and admired his steady way of showing affection. I gave him a small smile and said, "Alright, Seth. Goodnight and see you at school tomorrow."

Faster than anything, he pulled me into a hug and said, "Friendly hug." He pulled away with his boyish grin on his face. I smiled and said, "Thank you, Seth." I was grateful that he was trying his best to be a friend to me. I was sure that he was not going to cross my boundaries and make things worse. We parted ways and I was more than happy to be back at a place I called home. I took a shower and realized that my competition was coming closer. I was excited and also frightened at the same time.

The buzzing from my phone distracted me from my thoughts. I looked at the screen and my heart ached a little.

"Yes, Dimitri?"