Chapter 7: One Year Later

Chapter 7: One Summer Later

That day we were all together to play video games was the last time I saw the boys in person. As I predicted, it was also the last time I saw Kristina. We were definitely friends but she was older and without the boys there to bring us together, we went our separate ways.

Jaycee and I spent the winter low key stalking 5SOS, which isn't hard to do, especially on tumblr. But as they went on more tours and the interviews kept adding up, it was hard to keep up with them. 

Year 12 is amazing so far. School is a breeze, except when it comes to university applications. Jaycee got into Monash in Melbourne and I got into U of Sydney. We might as well be on different planets. But we have one last summer together before we part ways. 

I can't wait to finally--

My internal monologue was interrupted by my phone vibrating.

*New message from Michael*

What? I haven't spoken to him since... I don't even remember. We tried to stay in touch at first but he was busy with the band and traveling and I was busy with school. He's not even my neighbor anymore. The band got a house together across town. 

I decided to open it, almost afraid of what it might say.

Michael: Party at the house tonight! Starts at 9

Of course. It was probably a mass text and I just happened to be in the mix. I didn't reply back.

I brought out my laptop and scrolled through titles on Netflix. Hopefully I'll find a show I can binge watch into tomorrow. I ended up on Gossip Girl. I've been avoiding it until now.

Halfway through the episode my door opened. It was Jaycee.

"How did you get in here?" I asked.

"You didn't lock the front door," she said. "What are you doing? There's a party!" She went straight to my closet to find something for me to wear.

"I'm not going," I said.

She turned around with her hands on her hips. "Pardon moi?"

I rolled my eyes and said, "it's not like we were cordially invited, Jaycee, it was probably an accident."

"So what? You're going to miss out on going to a party hosted by famous people? Who are also your friends?"

"Yep."

"Come on, please? Please please please. I'll drive! And we can leave if it's lame. Please? I really really wanna go, and we never do anything cool anymore--"

"Alright," I stopped her from babbling. "But we're leaving if it's lame."

"Of course we will. But I still get to pick your outfit."

She talked me into wearing a light purple fitted mini dress with half sleeves and a bunch of gold necklaces. The car ride was way too fast for and I was not ready to get out yet. I've never even been here before and I haven't seen them in a year. What if they don't even recognize me?

"Eva," Jaycee snapped me out of it. "Hello? Let's go." I nodded and got out of her car.

She basically had to drag me to the door while I tried to talk her out of it. "Should we knock? Or is that too formal? We should have brought drinks or something. We should just go home."

And all of a sudden, Ashton was opening the door and loud music flooded my ears. I could hardly tell it was him. He looks like he aged five years instead of just one, and I don't remember him being that tall.

"Oh my god, Eva and Jaycee!" He engulfed us in a hug. "We missed you guys!"

"Hey Ashton!"Jaycee exclaimed.

"Come in, you haven't been here before right?" We shook our heads. "I'll show you around and keep an eye out for the other boys, I think I lost them."

I've never seen any of these people before. Ashton was bombarded with "hey man"s and "where's the bathroom"s. We found Calum and Luke in the kitchen and I got more hugs. Damn, they were tall. Luke's was the longest hug I've received all day. I really missed these boys. 

"I missed you," Luke whispered to me, mimicking my thoughts. "We need to catch up."

"Eva," I heard my name being called from behind me and I suddenly felt extremely anxious, as if I really should not have come and ditching Gossip Girl was a bad idea. Honestly, I'm almost angry at Michael for forgetting about me and moving on with his life. He was my best friend and even when he was in town, he never made an effort to hang out with me again.

I nervously turned around to see him with white hair on the sides and black hair down the middle. He ran up to get his turn at hugging me and picked me up. 

"The squad is back!" He said while spinning me in circles.

"Michael," I managed to say while he was crushing my ribs.

"Yeah?"

"Can't breathe."

"Oh, sorry," he said and put me down. "I missed you."