How Things Function

Start from the beginning

Chanyeol stopped and looked at the sea with a blank face as he wondered whether he could commit murder by drowning Baekhyun in that perfectly cold and merciless water and still be able to cover up his death by the time Sehun and Kyungsoo got home.

The bastard didn't care if he burnt his as long as the bastard's steak came out perfectly fine? Chanyeol looked down to stare daggers at the shorter guy. The action would've been more effective if Chanyeol hadn't seen that Baekhyun was shivering and gripping his arms.

It was then that Chanyeol noticed how close Baekhyun was actually standing next to him. In fact, the guy was pressuring himself against the giant body next to him as if trying to transfer heat over to himself. Chanyeol groaned and rubbed his forehead with a hand.

"Baekhyun, go inside," he ordered.

Baekhyun snorted. "I'm not leaving my steak in your large hands."

"Baekhyun," Chanyeol repeated. "Go back inside if you're fucking cold."

"I'm fine," Baekhyun insisted. "The smoke from the grill's keeping me warm."

Chanyeol wanted to hit Baekhyun. "Get out of smoke's way! You're going to end up smelling like meat and gas, you idiot."

Despite the angry warning, Baekhyun just smiled and shrugged, keeping his eyes on the cooking meat. Out of annoyance, Chanyeol gently shoved Baekhyun off to the side. Much to his disappointment, Baekhyun scooted right next to him again.

"For fuck's sake, Baekhyun!" Chanyeol set the spatula down. "Get the fuck inside!"

"Did you know that eating charred meat isn't good for you?" Baekhyun informed him in a slightly stuttering voice, evading the demand. "It doesn't taste good either."

"Uh huh."

"I heard that charred meat can add to your chances of getting colon cancer," Baekhyun mindlessly said, keeping any awkward silences at bay. "Anything burnt is a health hazard. In fact, it's—"

"Baekhyun, please shut up and just get the fuck inside," Chanyeol groaned. "You're jittering right now—"

"I'm like a life-sized human vibrator against you, aren't I?"

Again, Chanyeol thought about drowning Baekhyun and killing him. Ignoring the remark, Chanyeol tried again. "Baekhyun—"

"If I'm a shaking vibrator, you'd be a dildo." Baekhyun laughed at himself. "Get it?"

Fuck whoever it was in the Heavens that gave Baekhyun that mouth of his. Perhaps Chanyeol couldn't kill Baekhyun, but suicide was also on the table. He could just as easily put his face on that grill and spare himself from any more of Baekhyun's stupid words.

Letting Baekhyun know how frustrated he was, Chanyeol growled as he shrugged off his jacket and shoved it in Baekhyun's folded arms. Baekhyun was taken aback at the forceful shoving of the jacket, but then he glanced up at its owner.

"Wear it and shut up."

Baekhyun looked at the jacket for a second before he shrugged. He put it on to the best of his abilities, but the arms ended up being too long and Baekhyun just knew that he looked stupid. In his head, the jacket ruined the perfection of his pajama look.

As Chanyeol asked, Baekhyun stopped talking. He stood there, watching Chanyeol flip and press the steaks a few times. He glanced over and saw that Chanyeol had shoved his hand inside his pocket as a means to keeping that hand warm from the cool night air. Baekhyun almost felt bad for taking the jacket.

Almost.

Three minutes passed before Baekhyun yawned. "I'm bored."

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, mentally cursing Baekhyun. "What're you gonna do about it?"