"It's paradise." The Latina smiled, cupping her elbows. "But the week's almost over. They're going to be back tonight."

"I know." Camila set her water bottle down on the counter, then headed towards the small pantry to pluck a banana from one of the many ripening bunches. "I think we should use that raspberry vodka to make gummy bears before they get back."

Lauren just shook her head with a smile. As she leaned against the far wall, she felt the wrinkle of the envelope against her ass. It was an indication that this was going to be as good a time as ever. "Hey Camz?" She took a deep breath as Camila turned around with a near empty banana peel in her hand. "There's something... I've been meaning to give you."

"More? God Lauren, enough already. You already broke the bank for me once..."

Lauren cut her off. "No, it's not like that." She could feel her tone lowering. "It's something else."

"What is it?" Camila stepped forward as Lauren reached behind her and pulled out the envelope that had been burning a nervous hole in her gut for the last few days. "What's inside?"

"Open it." Arm extended, Lauren swallowed as she let Camila pluck the paper from her hand, and begin to peel at the seam.

A few endless seconds later, Camila was curiously removing a standard sheet of paper folded neatly into threes. On the front was her full name in dark, calligraphic ink and a penmanship that was foreign to her. She frowned up at Lauren in confusion as the page was unfolded, and another smaller slip of paper fluttered to the ground. Camila knelt down to retrieve in, setting it down on the counter next to her as she studied the larger page in her hands. There were four words, written neatly in the centre of the page, and nothing else.

This is for you.

Camila looked at her girlfriend, hoping to get some kind of explanation, but receiving nothing but a blank stare. "You gave me a sheet of paper?"

Lauren silently jerked her chin over to where the smaller slip sat by Camila's arm. The Cuban made a soft oh sound, then reached over to pick it up, and unfold it.

Her heart stopped when she realized what she was looking at. The slip of paper was small, and for a good reason. It was a cheque, made out to Karla Camila Cabello, and issued for forty-five thousand dollars. Forty-five thousand dollars. Camila looked at Lauren again, her frown furrowing deeper.

"Lauren, what the fuck is this?"

"Check out the top left corner."

Camila looked over and saw who the cheque was from. If her heart still had any life left from the original shock, it was gone at this point.

Ms. Mirabelle Cabello

12 Autumnal Avenue

Burbank California

"Lauren, where the hell..." Camila stared at the name she hadn't seen in years.

"I had to call around." Lauren started. "Do a little digging online, pulling up old records, phone books, that sort of thing. I finally got a hold of her though. She lives alone in a small neighbourhood in Burbank. She's retired, and has been looking to get in contact with you for a long time."

Camila's hand was borderline trembling as she shifted her gaze back down to the cheque in her hand.

"I know it's a little bit extreme, but I couldn't convince her otherwise. She was really insistent."

Camila blinked a few times, her thoughts still tangled like a mess of abandoned earphones.

"Camila, please say something." Lauren took a few tentative steps towards the smaller girl, reaching out, cupping her elbows and pressing the pads of her thumbs against the soft skin. "Think about it. This could fix your job finding issue for a while. You'll have your tuition pretty much dealt with, and there's a chance you won't even need to work this summer. You could come with me to Miami, we could hang out by the beach, just relax..." She met Camila's eyes, a soft smile on her face. "It'll be fun. And this way there isn't going to be a time where I'm not going to have you with me."