6. The Blue Light

The blue speck had rather cause much talk in the lab, which was only four people--Burdge, Howard and two assistants.

Howard had started to inspect the blue light with the mechanical arms Burdge had designed.

As she closely looks at the light, she tells the assistant, "Emission signature is unusual. Alpha and beta Ray neutral..."

The metal hands have pulled the light closer to the two scientists faces.

"I doubt Rogers picked up on that," Howard smirked, looking at Burdge who rolled her eyes

"It's seems harmless," Burdge continues, "I thought this would be more complicated. Howard, take the other clasp, pull in closer." She put her wounded arm over her other arm, scrunching her nose in scrutiny.

As the other clasp had gone over to pinch the light, Burdge and Howard flew backwards from the impact of the explosion caused from the action. Howard had been thrown back the farthest, grunting that they should write that down.

Thankfully, Burdge hadn't taken a hard fall from the explosion. Though, her wound had started to bleed, and she'd gotten a few scratches on her face. Groaning, Burdge ripped the sling off and saw that her navy dress had been stained with blood, growing slowly by steadily.

She stands up and walks over to the table, grabbing a sharp object and cutting the sleeve of her fabric. The gauze wrapped around her wound had been soaked, implying that it may had started bleeding before she fell back.

"Crazy," Burdge mutters as she takes a white coat and dabs her wound. "HYDRA is dealing with this? What war have we gotten ourselves into? This could be what powers their weapons!"

A nurse had come over to Burdge's side, a kit in her hand. She waves her off. "I can do it myself."

It rather surprised Burdge that the wound had started to bleed, since it had been healing faster than a normal wound like hers would.

Pushing aside the thought, Burdge says to Howard, "Leave that thing alone. Can I see the prototype?"

An assistant had come beside her to help clean up the mess. Howard ordered some people to clean up the glass.

"I'll...make sure that thing is put away," he assures Burdge, referring to the blue light, or whatever it was.

Patched and ready, Burdge walks to the weapons lab and takes the prototype from the top of the shelf of shields for Steve.

It was another project of Burdge's, to make a shield for Steve. The shield is made of vibranium, a strong metal that is completely vibration absorbent. Burdge thought the metal was just perfect for Steve and his Commandoes.

She'd spent only a week with the metal, before Steves procedure, wondering how it would work, how to mend it. It took time, she finally found a way to shave the edges into a spherical shape.

Then Burdge had to go touring with Steve so she left Howard to try to shape it. And now, as she looks at the vibranium shield, she smiles. If only they had more of this metal, they could make invulnerable armor for Steve and his team. The shield had some tiny bumps, not too big, to fix. It's a great way for her to let her mind off HYDRA and her wound (even if it sets her back).

Her wounded arm has started to tingle. Ignoring the unsettling feeling, Burdge takes the shield and puts it under a machine so that it could be shaped. While it was doing that, Burdge took another look at her arm, and them sat down.

It's bad to drink while you are wounded, but Burdge had always knew since the day she first was seriously injured, that she is special. It added up, too. Burdge never knew her name. It's an alias, one she came up when she was ten, when she'd first met then Rogers family.