(17) I Can Explain

*

•A/N Thank you to everyone who commented on the last part and IM'ed me. It was definitely appreciated!•

Once Zeus agreed to let me leave, I walked around Olympus. A lot was on my mind.

I found my parents. A safe forever home. But I still couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong with me. Something happened in the 3 years I couldn't remember.

I sat down on a bench in Demeter's garden. I love my parents. All 13 of them. Even Hades, even though I haven't met him yet.

Ever since I woke up in that alleyway, my sense has been off. Every once and a while my legs would hurt where the voice hit me in that dream.

I want to know what happened. I thought to go to my parents with this, but I decided against it. They would probably take it way to far. They don't even know that I'm missing more than one period of my life.

What if I do tell them? Would they even do anything about it? After all, I have only known them for a few weeks. Lately, they haven't been treating me like I'm wanted. I know that I was a mistake. I wasn't supposed to be born. They know that too, and they never forget it. Now, it seems like I'm old news to them.

I shook my head in frustration. I get mad just thinking about it. Anger issues, thanks Zeus.

I put my mind on something else. I thought about my dream. I wondered if it had anything to do with me losing my memory. After all, it was the last thing I saw before I woke up in New York.

I was in a dark place. It was cold and it seemed ancient. I felt like I was leaning forward, like gravity was pulling me towards the pit.

The voice was deep. Definitely male. The voice was trapped in the pit. It never appeared as a body. Not even as a ghost.

I wondered if Hades knew anything about the pit and voice. I decided I should just go see him today.

I quickly walked to my room and shut the door behind me. I grabbed a piece of paper and pen. I wrote a note for my parents (Mainly Zeus) about where I'm going and that I would be back ASAP. Also to not be mad at Hades (That was for Zeus, too).

Now the only problem was leaving this place with out getting caught. I thought back to one of the sessions I had with Hecate. She said that eventually, and if my parents allowed, I would be capable of great magic. She told me about a teleportation ability I possessed. Shadow traveling, I think she said. Hecate didn't actually teach me how to shadow travel, but I could figure it out. Probably.

I closed my curtains, which were thankfully black. Most of the light in my room was blocked out. I stood in the corner of my room that was the darkest. I closed my eyes and concentrated on traveling to the Underworld.

That part was somewhat difficult. I pictured dark caverns and ghosts, but nothing happened. I heard someone coming down the hall. I had to hurry.

I closed my eyes again. I imagined a dark palace. The River Styx came to mind too. I pictured Elysium, what I thought I would look like. I felt a cold breeze go up my spine. I felt like I was moving at a million miles per hour. Right when I was going lift my arms to feel my face, the wind stopped.

I opened my eyes. I was standing in front of a huge castle. Everything around me was black and tinted with fire. I looked down. I appeared to be standing on a black rock. Obsidian, I assumed.

I walked forward towards the gates of the palace. The palace looked remarkably similar to the palace on Olympus, but definitely a lot darker. This was his own Olympus. I realized this was probably Hades' way of feeling at home.

I pushed open the gate. I walked through a garden to the front door. The garden, I presumed, was Persephone's. Three bat-looking creatures jumped out at me right when I went to open the doors.

"What are you doing, girl!" The middle creature asked me.

I replied something real smart. "Uh...". I never actually thought about what I would do when I got to the Underworld.

"You're not supposed to be here," the left one hissed at me.

"I need to see Hades. Now." I said firmly. It shocked me how bold my voice was.

"What, you couldn't wait to see your daddy," the middle one said with fake sympathy. The other to laughed, which sounded like strangled pig squeals.

I felt my face heat up. "No. I need to talk to him about-"

"What is the meaning of this?" The doors opened up to reveal the one and only, Lord Hades.

The creatures, which I now realized were furies, and I were silent.

"Well?" Hades asked impatiently. The middle fury opened her mouth to speak, but I beat her to it.

"They were just telling me about the Underworld. Where things are and stuff," I lied. I figured that I didn't want the furies on my bad side. The least I could do is save their butts from Hades wrath.

Hades looked at me. "And what are you doing here? Zeus told me you were coming tomorrow. Please tell me you didn't sneak out, but if you did, I wouldn't blame you." He mumbled the last part.

"I needed to speak to you." I said leveling my voice trying to stop it from quivering.

"It couldn't wait until tomorrow?"

"It's important, I promise."

Hades nodded his head and motioned for the furies to leave. They flew away gratefully. I followed him to the throne room. It looked like the one on Olympus, but there were only two thrones. Hades sat in his, and he motioned for me to sit on the other one.

I hesitated, but listened. Persephone wouldn't mind, right? I sat down on the throne and let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. I looked down to the floor and saw that I was no longer human sized. I was ten feet tall! I let that thought go when Hades began to speak.

"So what is it that is troubling you?" He asked me.

I began to tell him about my dream. I didn't leave out a single detail. Next, I reluctantly told him how when I woke up, I was no longer where I fell asleep. I told him how I woke up three years later. I finished and Hades was silent.

He swallowed. "Why did you come to me with this? Why not Zeus?"

I sighed. "I don't think I trust him with this. I mean I love him, but I'm not sure what he would do."

Hades nodded and looked at me. "Is that all?"

"That, and I wanted to know...." I trailed off.

"You wanted to know...?"

"I wanted to know if you knew anything about the pit. I know it's important somehow. I have to know," I ranted.

Hades stayed quiet and took in a sharp breath. "Katherine, I understand your concern with this. I know you want to know, but it is not my place to tell you. Not yet. I'm sorry," He said.

I looked down then at Hades . Why couldn't be tell me? What does he mean it's not his place to tell me? He's my dad!

"Look, I want to tell. You deserve to know. But I can't take the risk." He continued.

I wiped the disappointment off my face. "Well thanks for nothing," I said with my temper rising.

I stood up and walked towards the way we came in. My fists were clenched in rage.

"Katherine, you should know you made the right choice coming to me." I stopped walking. "We can't trust Zeus with this."

I continued walking. Soon I was in the garden opening the gate. By then, I was calm. I concentrated on the shadows and Olympus. I opened my eyes and I was in my room again. I sighed and turned around. I started to walk towards the door but stopped and looked up.

There in front of me were 12 very angry-looking Olympians. I clenched my jaw and took a step back. Maybe they didn't get my note?

"You have a lot of explaining to do." Poseidon said. My other parents nodded. Well, this will be a long night.