Chapter 2: Million Miles Away

Start from the beginning

Thinker. Clearly.  

I threw up mental walls like my mom taught me when I was young. Of course then she'd taught me so I can keep other's emotions out, not to keep my thoughts in. But it came handy nonetheless.  

I sent a silent prayer to my mother, God bless her, as I noticed that not a single soul could be seen walking outside on the corridors.  

"Lights out at eight." Maya said, when I gave her a puzzled glance at the mention of such an early time to hit the sack, she explained.  

"We need to be strict to keep accidents at bay." 

"Accidents?" I asked with raised eyebrows.  

Looking over at me with amusement, she said "Dominance issues are high amongst Shifters."  

Dominance issues?  

I must've had a funny look on my face, because Maya laughed.  

"You'll get it soon enough." she said.  

We walked a few more minutes in silence, and we reached a dorm, filled with doors opposite one another, along both sides of the wall.  

"You'll be placed with Sara. She's a Thinker too." Maya said turning to me and handing me a key and pointing to the room that had the number 201 on it.  

I nodded.  

"I must warn you, you're the only Feeler here. People are going to wonder about you. I know you'll handle it. Otherwise you wouldn't be a Feeler. But, I thought you should know. Be ready by seven in the morning. Your schedule will be on the desk in your room. All the best." 

So that's why I was offered a scholarship. I was the only one of my kind here. I sighed. Great.  

I nodded.  

"Thank you. Is there anything else I must remember in need to survive here?" I asked with a smirk.  

"Don't get caught." Maya said with a wink and a laugh.  

My mouth was still on the floor as she bid me good night and walked away.  

Plucking up my courage and my jaw from the floor, I inserted the key into the lock on the door.  

I opened the door to see two beds, on either side of the room, and one common big study table, with two chairs.

My side of the room was just plain white, with a bed next to the wall.  

My roommate's side was neat, pink and very.. Empty.

Where was she? I wondered.

I shrugged. None of my business.  

I opened my mind to pick up the emotions in the room. Excitement, loneliness, happiness all marred into one assaulted my senses. My roommate's marker was very.. Loud. 

 I started taking out my things and laying them neatly onto the shelf provided. I checked out the bathroom, it was neat and provided with a shower head, a sink and a toilet. I had enough space to change in here.

I pulled on pyjama bottoms and a holey t-shirt. Then splashing my face with cold water, I pulled my hair down from its ponytail holder.

I ran my wet fingers through it, massaging my scalp. God, that was a long trip from home. My back muscles were killing me, and I was dead tired.

I noticed that it was past ten. Realizing I should probably get some sleep, I walked towards my bed, but froze.

I felt two excited, VERY excited emotions. One I recognized as my roommate, the other seemed raw.. Almost like an animal's emotion streamlined into a human's.