Chapter 22 [This Betrothal Issue]

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

 IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL LAWS AND FACTS USED IN THIS CHAPTER ARE FICTIONAL! They were created specifically for this story by the writer's crazy imagination. [Terms used have real legal basis though! But are rarely, if ever, applied as stated!]

Chapter 22: This Betrothal Issue

“Can’t I at least come along?” Leonidas pleaded with his father.

At King Grisham’s exasperated sigh, Queen Lucilla intervened.

“Leonidas, as your father has already explained, it’s best the media don’t get wind that we are visiting Randolph. If all three of us leave the palace, and show up at the van Hastening’s residence, more than likely they’ll know something is up, and media frenzy will start up again. To avoid that, it’s best you stay in confinement,” his mother related as if she was explaining something simple to an annoyed three year old.

That would be an ample description of how Leonidas felt at the moment; he felt edgy, irritated and couldn’t stand another second in confinement. He understood his parents’ reasoning, but it didn’t improve his mood in the least. Letting out a frustrated grumble, Leonidas made to leave, but remember his manners, after all, they were the King and Queen, and no one can leave their presence without properly excusing themselves, or being officially dismissed by them.

“If it makes you feel any better, why don’t I sit this meeting out?” Queen Lucilla conceded, “That way, even if the public get wind of the visit, we could spin it as a social visit from the King. How about that, then?”

Childish of him, but Leonidas refused to answer.

King Grisham drew his wife away, leaving the stubborn Prince alone.

“I think that would be best,” he said to her when they were alone, “I’ll have my car go in one direction, hopefully that’ll distract the reporters, and I’ll leave from the servants’ quarters in an unmarked car.”

“Let us know as soon as possible if whatever they found, can break this decree,” Queen Lucilla told him.

“Will do,” and with that he was off.

***

“I’m sorry you won’t be able to come, but your parents do have a point,” Elise told Leonidas over the phone.

“I never said they didn’t have a point, I just don’t like that I couldn’t see you.” He told her.

“I wanted to see you too,” she related, “but if it makes you feel any better, dad said we all are banned from attending the meeting, even mom.”

“That doesn’t make me feel any better. I had hoped that you could’ve given me some inside scoop on the latest development,” he confessed.

“How about I go and eavesdrop at the door when they start?” She asked.

“You mean with a glass placed to the door, and you listening through?” He teased.

But Elise wasn’t able to respond, as she saw a car turn through the gate, and into their drive way.

“I think your father is here,” she said to Leonidas.

 “Okay,” he said, “Let me know when you hear something.”

“Okie doke, talk to you later,” she replied, before she disconnected the call.

King Grisham entered into the house through the garage door, and was greeted by everyone, but was shown to Randolph’s study immediately.